When did you start exercise after LIS or hemorrhoidectomy?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

When did you start exercise after LIS or hemorrhoidectomy?

Postby Turk the cat » 20 Nov 2014, 18:38

I do my best to get out and walk everyday, except for if I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid or my fissure pain is acting up.

Walking is the most gentle on my body exercise I can do to help keep my bm's regular. I also do "above the waist" yoga, arm stretches, sun salutation etc but find if I do below the waist stretches it bothers my fissure. This is pretty much the only exercise I've done for the past 2.5 years. I find if I don't walk on a regular basis it can contribute to harder stools, and to combat I have to perhaps take an extra stool softener.

How many of stool softeners I take varies, on average maybe twice a week this month, this year usually no more then that, and for some months I felt no need for softeners, but I'm probably going to pick it up, as I'm getting a bit edgy about my Dec 1 surgery date.

Anyhow, as for exercise, obviously walking will be out for sometime after surgery. When do people start doing any exercise? What can be done to compensate for lack of movement? I'm concerned about getting stiff muscles from lying in bed and 'backed up' without exercise, yet am more concerned about doing damage to anything the CRS does to me. My muscles are already somewhat knotted up from thinking about the operation. To help combat this I'm having four massages between now and the day. One down three to go. The therapist is doing some lymphatic massage and other gentle work.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what worked for them and if/when to start mild exercising. I haven't been swimming since this all began, I would love to try, but have been afraid. With luck next year for sure. I do still have my bicycle, fingers crossed someday I'll be back in the saddle.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: When did you start exercise after LIS or hemorrhoidectom

Postby thissucks » 21 Nov 2014, 03:28

I was able to walk the day after surgery.

Although a few days after that I was stuck in bed for a few days. I plan on working tomorrow (8 days later), which is a 12 hour shift on my feet.
thissucks

Topics: 1

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?