New and needing some encouragement

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: New and needing some encouragement

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Mar 2015, 07:52

Hi Bailey, if you've been on the nitro about 12 days, that isn't very long. If you aren't getting headaches, you could try increasing the amount a little, and see what happens. I can't really say how long it took. There were so many factors that had to come together - diet, getting consistently soft stools, discovering how wonderful a hot water bottle is for soothing and healing, plus the nitro. If you need a number, I'd say about a month.

I don't know about an internal fissure. You could have one, and the only way to know is to look inside. When I had my colonoscopy (just a regular 50 year checkup) they said they didn't see a fissure, but most likely would not have seen it with that method. I think generally they use an anuscope for that - but ask.

Honestly I don't know if a general surgeon could do the op. Maybe, maybe not. I'd look around for a very experienced CRS.

If it's any comfort, I went on the trip of a lifetime with my fissure. National Parks of the American southwest - Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, a road trip across Nevada, Lake Taho and so on. Plus we were camping! I won't say it was a bed of roses, and I was in pain and uncomfortable much of the time, BUT I still had a great time, and my memories of the trip don't include the pain, but rather the amazing things we did and saw. I even went white water rafting and enjoyed it. The following night wasn't so great mind you. But I'm still glad I did it. So take heart.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Bailey » 28 Mar 2015, 10:27

Very happy to say that I've had a good few weeks. I had quite a bit of pain earlier this month, so frustrating considering that I had really changed my lifestyle and was working so hard to heal the fissure. I'm not so sure that the nitro helped as much as the fact that I started Restoralx (Miralax) and that has made all the difference in the world! I don't get up every morning anxious anymore, I know that with good diet and lots of water and Resoralax, my BM's have been soft and easy to pass. I had felt like I had a few good weeks of healing and perhaps I was right! I had my colonoscopy yesterday - not only was it normal, but the doctor said he looked and could not see any evidence of a fissure! I'm hopeful that it means my fissure has healed but I plan to continue with the Resoralax for a while and will keep the high fiber diet/lots of water and exercise. I'm hopeful that the doctor is right and that this thing does not reoccur (I know that I'm at risk because I've had several over the years that have healed easily... These past few months have been a different story).

So for those who have struggled for months... It will get better. A month ago I was really thinking I had a chronic fissure and I was preparing myself for bad news - referral to CRS and discussion re: surgery. Just when i started to think it wouldn't improve, it seems to have healed.

And, may I say, I was really worried about the colonoscopy - that the prep or the procedure would cause injury (my first fissure happened after a really bad stomach flu). But, it was not a problem at all. Glad I did it, now I have peace of mind that it's nothing more serious and I'm quite encouraged that it may have healed.

And finally, thank you for your kind responses Scientist. Wishing all the best! Hoping not to back posting again...
Last edited by Bailey on 28 Mar 2015, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 28 Mar 2015, 10:43

Great news! I hope you are done with it once and for all.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Bailey » 28 Mar 2015, 11:27

Thanks Broncogirl. And may I say, I hope you find some relief too so that you can really enjoy your new baby and leave this behind you too... Take care.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1