consistency

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

consistency

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2008, 08:45

Hi all,
I am having real problems with getting my stool consistency right. Today it was just too soft...almost liquid. Now I know thats better than too hard but any tips with getting it just right would be appreciated.
At the moment I'm taking a fibre bulker (Senna) twice a day and osmotic softner twice a dy (Lactolose)
Thanx

Re: consistency

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2008, 09:53

Senna is a laxative and can give you diarrhea. I would skip that and only use that if you are in dire need.

Postby val » 09 Jan 2008, 11:25

Ahhhh lactulose! That made me go 17 times in one day when I very first had the fissure-agonyyyyy!!!
The best way is to experiment with different amounts of things, it took me weeks to get it right. Start with a small amount and then work upwards-our tummies are all unique and need a unique mixture of what will work.
Personally I think you're better off getting fibre from fruits and veggies and natural things like aloe vera juice and flaxoil, if constipation isn't a real issue for you. But thats just my take on it!
Good luck!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jan 2008, 11:40

val wrote:Ahhhh lactulose! That made me go 17 times in one day when I very first had the fissure-agonyyyyy!!!
The best way is to experiment with different amounts of things, it took me weeks to get it right. Start with a small amount and then work upwards-our tummies are all unique and need a unique mixture of what will work.
Personally I think you're better off getting fibre from fruits and veggies and natural things like aloe vera juice and flaxoil, if constipation isn't a real issue for you. But thats just my take on it!
Good luck!

I second what Val said!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2008, 11:45

thanx.
Re the senna...i got that wrong.
Im taking Senokot fibre which is Isphalga husk stool bulker.
Senokot tablets have senna in i think.
Ive also been given a thing called Lepicol by my health shop which is Psylium husks and pre and probiotics all in a sachet to be mixed up.
Havent actually tried that yet.
Think Ill go easy on the lactulose.
Any thoughts on prunes in prune juice?
Also do you think alcohol should be completely avoided? Image

Postby buttgirl » 09 Jan 2008, 11:51

The lactutose did nothing for me. Just gave me gas. I'd give it a try--it's supposed to be really mild. I think I took 2 tablespoons at both lunch and dinner.
grain fibers ALWAYS constipate me, so if you don't have any luck with those either, you could try either methylcellulose or my favorite glucomannan, which is a yam fiber.
prunes are OK. never had too much effect on me.
I have been avoiding alcohol b/c it burns coming out sometimes, but then I do have a beer every now and then and am just fine.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jan 2008, 12:42

The prunes should be excellent for both fiber and getting things going.
Beer will dehydrate you, other thatn that, I can't say about alcohol. I'd avoid it, though, if my fissure was severe...
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 09 Jan 2008, 15:15

I tried the Sennokat-evil stuff, about the same as lactulose. I read somewhere, before I found this forum, that it was brilliant and bought boxes of it, but they all went in the bin!
I haven't had any alchohol since having the fissure.
I tried prune juice but had too much of it, but I think it would be great if drunk in moderation!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Jan 2008, 16:05

Yes, definitely ALWAYS start with 1/4 recommended dose of whatever you try and that go up until you have desired result. For me Milk of Magnesia worked best BUT only 2 tea spoons at a time, as well as did mineral oil - 1 TBSP. I used Phylisum (Metamucil) too, with that you need to consume a lot of water for the stuff to work !!! I would mix prunes with my cereal - it was yummy ; ). I LOVE prunes. So, you see, you have to try stuff until you find what works for you.
In my opinion alcohol is a no-no because it dehydrates your body big time which can result with hard poop ...
All the best !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 10 Jan 2008, 05:27

I saw something on TV last week about hangovers :)
Basically for every capful of alcohol you drink, you lose about a pint of fluid.
I guessd you could have alcohol as long as you drank LOADS of water.
Personally I am avoiding it like the plague because I am petrified of having a hard bm.
Prunes should be ideal if you like them :)