Healing and spasming

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Healing and spasming

Postby ihatethisclub » 10 May 2015, 09:09

New here. 5 months ago, I thought I had a hemorrhoid--similar story to many here. The pain went on and on and was excruciating. After googling, I decided I had a fissure, so I found a colorectal doctor. She prescribed nitro and said if it doesn't work, botox would be next. She's not too keen on doing surgery, especially for women who'd had children vaginally. She said that, in her experience, women who've had LIS tend to have problems with incontinence later in life.

With my regimen of stool softeners and magnesium, I've had consistently soft BMs for a couple weeks. I bought a squatty potty and that helps, too.

Here's my problem: I feel like the fissures are feeling better than they have in a while (I think I had/have 5 or 6 of them). I don't feel raw soreness and stinging any more. HOWEVER, the spasming of my sphincter hasn't decreased a bit and I'm worried that even with complete healing, it won't calm down. When I poop, it's a relief and I don't feel pulling or tearing. But then, the spasming hits and even with application of nitro, it takes my breath away and my makes me shake and sweat.

And that's another thing, I feel like the nitro isn't helping as much now as it did when I first began. I barely feel the "flush" and I don't get headaches any more. That's great, except, its positive effects have lessened, too.

Any thoughts about this? Thank you in advance for your advice.
ihatethisclub
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Healing and spasming

Postby Canadabum » 10 May 2015, 09:24

Welcome to the Club...ihatethisclub (lol),

I am sorry you are suffering...hopefully with some tweaks to your regimen and some more time things will calm down. Here are some of my thoughts, things i would try if i was experiencing what you describe:

(a) take a couple ibuprofen (advil is brand name) before you go to the loo...if you can time it for 30mins before all the better. the ibuprofen might help reduce any inflamation and may help to control the pain of the spasms

(b) take a bath (i found sitz baths not great for me...had to be full on bath) after you go to the loo in very warm to slightly hot water...this should help to soothe the muscles down there....or

(c) right after going to the loo, sit on a heating pad for 10-20 mins to get some heat to the area, this too may calm the spasm

(d) explore switching your ointment from nitro to diltiazem or niphedipine....perhaps your body is not reacting effectively to the nitro any more and it needs a bit of a tweak

i am sure others will chime in with other advice...keep up the good fight and let us know how its going.

best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 May 2015, 14:04

That is all good advice from Canada. I would say try switching the meds, since you may have developed resistance to the nitro.

5 or 6 fissures just sounds simply awful - wow. I am sorry.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby hurtinend » 10 May 2015, 15:18

Hi and I feel for you. I am going through a similar experience. 3 weeks on nitro felt much relief, then yesterday stinging burn and spasm started 2 hours after bm and continues today. Forget the spinach I'm back on beer and pasta.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby jlm1 » 10 May 2015, 20:09

Hi there,
Sorry you are suffering!! It's just terrible, I know. Hot baths helped me a lot and heating pads. Pretty much everything that was suggested above. The only other thing I would say is to just have the botox sooner rather than later. That is my only regret....that I waited too long. The botox healed my fissure. I haven't posted in success stories yet because I have wanted to give it more time. Hang in there!!!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby ihatethisclub » 10 May 2015, 22:27

Thank you all for your replies, especially Canadabum. I see my doctor in a week and a half, so I will bring up the other med and also doing Botox. Mercifully, since I posted this morning, things have felt MUCH better. No random spasms, and I tried using Calmoseptine (kind of a menthol-zinc oxide ointment) and it worked to quell the little irritations better than any of the 101 other creams I puchased. Praying for a good day tomorrow. Thank you all so much!
ihatethisclub
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby anothersufferer » 19 May 2015, 18:14

Hello hate this club. Had one CRS at Addenbrookes who gave up on me, said the only way was pain management but as you and many others know, nothing seems to help the spasm pain. Decided to get second opinion at St Mark's the colorectal hospital in London. My life saver .. Thank goodness. My CRS there tried a procedure I had researched and found which was being used by USA doctor, Dr Feingold. But my CRS combined Botox and steroid. I had previously had three Botox procedures, two worked for a while, the third made the spasms even worse. My St Mark's CRS found the fissure to be very large and wasn't convinced procedure would work. It was decided I was not a candidate for LIS too short a sphincter muscle. That procedure was done 23 December 2014. The spasm pain is not with me now. My fissure has not completely healed and I have sore days but compared to spasms, can cope quite well. But the fissure is much smaller and less troublesome. Last week, my CRS offered to repeat process but I have opted to stay as I am for now, my choice and CRS okay with that but would do same procedure if things worsen for me. I take a Movicol sachet every day, plus a Dulcoease stool softener to make sure stools stay soft and have found this a great help. Life last year wasn't worth living, now I feel like a different person. I would add that my CRS seemed pleasantly surprised by the difference this has made and will be using it on other unfortunate fissure sufferers.
anothersufferer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Scientist2516 » 19 May 2015, 21:06

What is the procedure called, Anothersufferer? And what does it consist of?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16