I'm new here. I hope I'm posting correctly

fissure, hemorrhoids, LIS, abscess, fistula, & seton

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I'm new here. I hope I'm posting correctly

Postby veganmom » 09 Jul 2015, 11:19

Hello everyone. I am a new member (although I have been reading posts for the past few weeks).
about 2 months ago I developed an anal fissure. I had a few before but they always seemed to heal without any treatment. This last one was a different story. I was in excruciating pain & couldn't do anything other than lay in bed for 8-10 hours waiting for the spasms to subside after a BM. I saw a CRS & we decided that surgery was my best option. He cauterized my fissure, did a LIS, & did a hemorrhoidectomy (I carried twins to term & was left with lots of hemorrhoids).
Two weeks later my fissure & hemorrhoids are healed. Unfortunately I developed an infection from the LIS. Then came the anal abscess. OUCH! That put me in the hospital for 4 days. Dr wanted to try conservative measures before we went back to surgery. So I was on IV drip of Levaquin & Flagyl. Abscess got smaller but didn't go away. Last week it was getting worse so CRS said he needed to drain it. Back to surgery.
He drained my abscess & created a fistula with 1 seton.
So now I am 8 days post op & still pretty uncomfortable. When I have a BM (once or twice first thing in the morning) it kind of feels like it pulls on the seton. Normal feeling?
I guess I came here for 1)support & 2) to see if anyone on here has had similar experiences.
Thank you for reading my post.
BTW, I do not have Chron's or IBS. I am a 43 year old female & have 3 year old twins. I drink lots of water, vegan, & try to adhere to the SCDIET as much as possible.
veganmom

Topics: 1

Re: I'm new here. I hope I'm posting correctly

Postby msimon » 10 Jul 2015, 19:56

Hi Veganmom. Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry to hear of all you have been though, and while having to run after young children...it sounds very difficult. I hope you are feeling at least a little better by now.

I have had my share of butt issues and my story is actually rather similar to yours:

my-fissure-journey-t9294.html

I had surgery for a simple fistula though so I'm sorry but I can't answer any questions about the seton as I didn't have that. I just had the area laid open to heal from the bottom up. It took me 5 months but I was finally told this week that the surgical area is healed. I am left with irritated skin there now and an irritable pelvic floor from all the pain but in physio for that.

Do you have pan meds? Are you able to keep your BMs soft?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64