Diltiazem gel or wax?

which is more effective?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diltiazem gel or wax?

Postby hopefull » 14 Aug 2015, 04:15

Hi All

Anyone have any information on which base for diltiazem is more effective out of PLO gel/phlojel or paraffin wax/vaseline? These are my two options for bases from the compounding pharmacy. The compounding pharmacy said that they don't usually use the gel as it would transfer the diltiazem into the blood stream whereas the wax would localise the diltiazem. I've not been able to find out much from the internet or this forum. The diltiazem wikipedia page says the gel is better at getting the diltiazem to the target area and is more effective but I can't find it the published references. I'm tempted to get the gel as I feel like the Rectogesic that is in paraffin wax takes me sitting on a heat pad for it to work or maybe it's not working and the heat is, who knows. But then the paraffin wax is meant to be good for healing and probably protects the fissure a bit if I get it in. On the other hand I could use a syringe to get the gel up like I do with the Lignocain. Hmmmmmmmm... Image
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Re: Diltiazem gel or wax?

Postby Savaici » 14 Aug 2015, 06:56

I reacted badly to the Vaseline, or whatever else was in my first one. Did well with the gel which had to be kept in the fridge. I used both Diltiazem and Nifedipine. :D
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Diltiazem gel or wax?

Postby hopefull » 14 Aug 2015, 17:37

Thanks Savaici, I think I will go for the gel base. Did yours have a one month expiry? I think I read on a Anoheal leaflet that it expires after 4 weeks so doctors will prescribe two tubes as it should be used for at least 6 weeks but then that's made up in paraffin wax. I know the Rectogesic is either volatile or oxidises and perhaps not stable over a long period.
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7