Happy but confused

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Happy but confused

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 07:46

Just had my appointment with my CRS.
He says that he cant see any fissures now and that if there were any they must have healed Image
BUT, I still am having the spasms. For instance yesterday I was in spasm most of the day. He says that this will go.
So it would seem that my sphincter must have got into the habit of spasming while I had the fissures and is continuing to spasm even though the fisures have healed.
He also said that I have an epithelial polyp which is there but he says is of no consequence.
I have been on Rectogesic (Glyceryl trinitrate cream), but he says I should stop using it and just try to live normally. He said the cream can cause an allergic reaction after a while, so better to just stop.
Any thoughts or feedback gratefully received.

Re: Happy but confused

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 09:54

Hi ukfizz, I'm so glad to hear that the CRS says your fissures have healed. I'm sorry that you're still having spasms, though. I hope they go away soon! I can understand why you'd be confused.
I've been using nitroglycerin ointment for the last 6 weeks. I just did a google search and it looks like Rectogesic is the same thing as what you've been using. My doctor told me to stop using it after 6 weeks if I wasn't having any bleeding or pain. So, tonight will be my first night of not using it. The ointment seems to have really helped me and it'll feel strange not to use it tonight. I'm praying the sphincter muscles stay relaxed because I still have many days of firm poos even with taking Metamucil and drinking lots of lots of water. The doctor did say if I have a problem again to call her and she'll give me a new prescription for nitro ointment. She didn't say anything about causing an allergic reaction over time. I get headaches from it and it burns for a few minutes, but that hasn't bothered me really. I sure wouldn't want to get an allergic reaction from it!
One thing I think I will keep doing for awhile is the sitz baths a few times a day. I'm hoping that will keep things relaxed down there. Just a suggestion, but maybe that'll be something you'll want to do for awhile just to help with the spasms.
I do have a question, though. What is a epithelial polyp? Is that something on the inside of the anal canal? I have either a skin tag or small hemorrhoid on the outside at the 6 o'clock position where one of the cuts was. The CRS said from day one I didn't actually have fissures, but instead little cuts. But, I was still put on the nitro ointment. So, that was confusing to me. But, it seems to have really helped and I'm just praying now that I don't have any more problems.
Hope you feel better very soon! I know how doctors can be confusing. I come home from seeing them sometimes more confused.
Julie

Postby val » 30 Jan 2008, 10:31

Hi!
From my experience with doctors, they are very often wrong! Mine said I didn't have a fissure, but I had a 12cm one and then another doctor said that I didn't have a fistula, but I've just had an operation to lay one open!!!
So my point is... listen to your body, and seek another opinion if you feel that they are wrong. But hopefully everything is ok and its healed up!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 11:56

Julie hi, and thanx for reply.
Yes the Rectogesic is the same cream. And I know what you mean, I'm very worried to come of it, but I already have a prescription for another lot, so if I need to I can go back on it.
The polyp, I thought was a sentinel pile. I still think this could be a sentinel pile. He did say that it wont go but it was of no consequence, but of course its of consequence to me!!!
Which brings me on to Vals point really. I do know what you mean Val and to be honest its hard to get much in the way of service from the NHS. This guy who is a cnsultant colo-rectal surgeon, also operates out of a private Nuffield hospital at Gerrards Cross, and I'm sure would have been much more attentive had I been to see him there!! BUT, he is presumably qualified enough to look at an anoscope and see if a patient has fissures or not......I hope!!!!!!

Postby val » 30 Jan 2008, 12:16

Yes, you're right, if he's a consultant, which all the Nuffield surgeons are, then he should know what he's talking about!
I pay Ј120 a time to see my CRS at Ipswich Nuffield, but at least he talks sense which is something the NHS doctors dont do! You were very lucky to see a consultant on the NHS, they are usually the registrars!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 30 Jan 2008, 14:33

I find it surprising, to say the least , that your doctors want you off the cram so soon, especially if you still have spasms ????? Fissures even after closing up are prone to injury for long period of time. The
tissue there regains its pre-fissure strength very, VERY slowly - only 80% after 8-12 months !!!!! If I were you, I would be on that regiment for 3 more months minimum, including diet and all to make sure that it does not reopen! Now is the most crucial period !!! If you develop allergy you can stop using it and try other cream , but if you reopen fissure - well ... you will start all over again : (((.
Please take care, and as Val says - doctors don't know everything !!!
Sometimes we have to take our health in our hands and know how to fight for the best treatment for us !
All the best
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 14:37

I wouldn't be too fast to discontinue the cream either. If you are having issues with side effects you might try anoheal instead.

I used anoheal (diltiazem) long after the doctor said I was healed and used some during my period for spasms.

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 16:11

Thanx for the advice, and it is duly noted. I too was surprised that he said to stop using the rectogesic. I have been using it for 5 weeks now in total. I will certainly carry on with the regimen for the next couple of months at least.
Oh and as someone else said.....you do look very cute in that t shirt Lecia!!

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 16:21

Who said my t-shirt was cute? I must have missed that.

Thanks! :oops:

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 16:31

Someone on another thread.........
Its nice for us guys on here to lift the af depression with a nice photo or two!!