My Fissure Experience

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My Fissure Experience

Postby enough » 02 Oct 2015, 11:04

Hello everyone. This has been a really helpful forum and I too have decided to share my own experience. Its been a long road for me. Not the worst fissure I guess, having read some of the truly horrific stories, but painful nonetheless.

I'm a 30 year old Male and first had my fissure about 5 years ago. Standard symptoms daily for weeks: Exceedingly painful BMs with slight amounts of fresh red blood seen in the stools. Had enough. Went to see my family physician and was correctly diagnosed with a posterior (6 o clock) anal fissure. Standard treatment - Dietary modification, GTN ointment and stool softener (over here we have Lactulose instead of Miralax). Fissure healed. Ecstatic. But recurred months later. Cycle of healing and tearing went on for over 2 years. Damn fissure just wouldn't go away! Had enough. Went to see the colorectal surgeon. Had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (under GA). Proclaimed LIS as the gold standard for chronic anal fissure. Intra op findings were chronic anal fissure, exposing internal anal sphincter muscle. No sentinel pile. Anyway, post op and recovery were thankfully uneventful and the fissure completely healed in 6 weeks. No problem with the BMs till 6 months ago (i.e pretty much symptom free for 3 years after LIS) when fissure symptoms resurfaced. Went back to the same Colorectal Surgeon and he replied that it was ''exceedingly rare'' for an anal fissure to develop after LIS. Took a look and did a rectal examination with a proctoscope (literally died with the pain)! Imagine a metalpiece shoved up the ass in full sphincter spasm. It was so bad the scope couldn't go the full length and examination had to be half completed only. Told me couldnt see any fissures at all, but presence of piles. Prescribed me medication for piles and antibiotics for possible early perianal abscess. Wow. Took a week to complete all medication. Couldn't say symptoms subsided fully. Had enough. Embarked on quest to get better myself. Really watched diet, plenty of water, adequate fibre and all. Really got better. Happy. Till 3 weeks ago. Re Tore it after a large BM, accompanied by copious amounts of blood. This time was really bad. Avoided going to the toilet for 4 days straight with a liquid fast. Totally demoralised. Had enough. Went to see another doctor. And was given shots of Botox. This was 5 days ago. Currently feeling better, lesser spasms, lesser painful BOs, lesser bleeding. Will give update as I go along. Really considering a repeat LIS if this shit goes on. Enough is enough.

In summary, chronic anal fissure of 5 years. Treated with GTN ointment, LIS (once), Botoxed (once).

Thanks for reading and I sincerely wish everyone on this forum recovers completely.
enough

Topics: 1

Re: My Fissure Experience

Postby Deleted User 4594 » 02 Oct 2015, 12:41

Hi enough,

Sorry to hear about your reoccurrence but hey at least you got a good chunk of time in peace after your LIS. Hopefully this too will last. My only concern for having it cut more is I believe it can increase your chances of incontinence. I could be wrong, but certainly your doctor would be able to give you better information on that
Deleted User 4594

Postby chachacha » 02 Oct 2015, 14:44

Thanks for sharing your story. The more personal experiences we have on the board, the more people coming after us have to use as information and guidance for their own journeys. I'm sorry that you had to suffer, but hopefully someone else will benefit from what you have posted.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby enough » 04 Oct 2015, 21:41

Thanks very much for the kind words. Really helps to know there are others out there going through the same thing.
enough

Topics: 1

Postby Shania213 » 27 Oct 2015, 21:00

Hiya,

Have you seen any improvements?
Shania213
Salt Bather

Topics: 14