fissures healed on plant based diet

up with the veg, down with meat

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

fissures healed on plant based diet

Postby Agibson » 11 Mar 2016, 08:41

Hi Folks,

First post here. I Hope you're all having 'good' days!

im posting because i had real breakthrough two months ago, finally, after 4 years of 2 debilitating fissures.
after lots of confusion and misery regarding my constipation, i decided to cut out meat and diary, and up my intake of veg, beans, brown rice/pasta, nuts and fruits, excluding most bread and minimising anything with low fibre, but allowing small amounts of coffee and alcohol.

within 2 days my stools started to soften, within 4 days they were perfect (no more toilet roulette) and within 2 weeks my fissure pain just became a faint awareness, like a ghost. that was 2 months ago... all this without any OTC medecines. I was using GTN ointment prior to this experiment, and i also take magnesium citrate and a vegan multivit. i cant believe the difference in my life. doctors had said to up the fibre, but no-one said take out meat. maybe they cant legally recommend it.

i realise my diet is limited, but so was my life with all the constant pain. I'm now experimenting with adding back small amounts of fish and white meat. let's see...

In case its useful im recording my experiences with this elimination style experiment at

https://eatyourselfhealthysite.wordpress.com/

any comments would be helpful.

I also realise this is a purely personal response to my own digestive problem. Im not a doctor, however i would encourage people to persevere and discover if what they eat might be affecting their digestion in anyway.

To anyone suffering from pain and confusion regarding their own body, you have my deepest sympathies. I know mine could come back at any point, so each day i'll just keep trying to stick to my plan!

Good luck folks,

AG
Agibson
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: fissures healed on plant based diet

Postby Savaici » 15 Mar 2016, 14:21

Great post! :wel: and :thanx: .
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Agibson » 17 Mar 2016, 12:48

thanks Savaici!

this site has really helped me in the past!
Agibson
Salt Bather

Postby Agibson » 27 Mar 2016, 08:15

hey folks,

hope you're all doing well. i just wanted to say im almost 3 months in the clear with no setbacks! ive revolutionised my eating habits, and having done this elimination diet since 1st january i can say im still avoiding/not yet re-introduced* red meats, most fish and bread, but i'm able to enjoy chicken, eggs, every veg, wholegrain, bean, fruit, and nut, coffee and alcohol. balancing protein with fibre seems to be key. i havent needed a careful exercise routine (i used to find running helped a lot). i wish i had found this info 5 years ago! i feel like i lost a period of my life, but my health seems to have returned purely due to this way of eating. i have no pain at the mo, and no high resting tension, which used to be constant. if anyone wants the long version on my elimination diet, its here. https://eatyourselfhealthysite.wordpress.com.

Has anyone else had any experience, success or difficulty with this kind of approach? i'd love to hear from you if so.

All the very best folks,

A.
Agibson
Salt Bather

Postby efr97 » 20 Apr 2016, 04:12

I can definitely subscribe to this approach. Going semi-vegetarian has really helped me too, although I occationally do eat some meat and fish, but then in small proportion to the amount of vegetables on the plate, and only in minced form (meatballs, fish-cakes etc).

Another thing I've found to be very efficient is to drink a large glass of water just before and after every meal (along with Lactulose 10-15ml 3times per day), plus loads of water in between as well.

Unless you manage to consistently get toothpaste-soft stools, all the creams and fancy tricks won't do anyting.
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby Agibson » 24 Apr 2016, 04:48

Hi efr97

thanks for reply. yes i agree, easy to digest foods in prop w veg are usually fine. sandwiches still a big no no though, something about the combination i think.

re water i guess you notice a beneficial difference. i tend to seperate, but perhaps i'll try that too.

i agree re friendly motions. fascinating to learn about what physiology suggests the ideal human diet should/might be. no wonder we run into problems, but also incredible how willing the body is to repair itself when given a chance!

Cheers
Agibson
Salt Bather

Postby MichelleVan » 28 Apr 2016, 04:26

I 100% agree that a plant based diet is a major part of the cure! I had two doctors tell me that if all you do is eat a plant based diet that is naturally high in fiber, instead of focusing on protein, you will be in the clear! And I'd like to add that I was a super healthy vegan before this journey began and the second that I fell off the health wagon for a month or two..voila! Hello fissure and hemorrhoids! I had begun consuming too much junk food and coffee with not enough fiber or water which lead to me being dehydrated and undernourished with nothing helping my clean the pipes! And I'm pretty sure popcorn had something to do with it as well since it doesn't fully break down and can scratch the sensitive lining coming out if you're dehydrated.
MichelleVan

Topics: 1

Postby Agibson » 30 Apr 2016, 06:37

haha, popcorn. i thought i had found a perfect high fibre snack to replace junk snacks. but no, it didnt work for me either. simple foods the body has evolved with and recognises - always keeps me well. Glad to hear other people have arrived at similar results, and success - i was at my wits end, but this approach is surprisingly simple and manageable, except perhaps for meal planning when away from home. every minor setback ive had since hitting on this eating style has been from overprocessed stuff - crisps, chocolate, popcorn (always sweet or salty), food from services, bread etc.

does anybody have a favorite plant based dinner they'd like to reccomend? i swear by butter beans/veg/pasta/pesto or chick pea curry. these two practically guarantee a troublefree exit haha but i'd love to hear more ideas.

Thanks and good luck folks!
Agibson
Salt Bather

Postby efr97 » 30 Apr 2016, 07:57

Not to mention: Cutting down on meat is good for the planet.

Here is a good recipe:

Serves 1-2
1-2 cloves of garlic
1" of ginger
1/2 onion
1,5dl of red lentils, cooked
1,5dl of chick peas, cooked
300g of chopped tomatoes
4 potatoes
some champignon mushrooms
1/3 broccoli
1 tbsp Fresh chopped coriander leaves
1 lime
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1/3 teaspoon chili powder
6 peppercorns
3 cardamom pods
Some natural/greek youghurt

Melt some butter (or ghee if you have) in a caserole
Simmer garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, peppercorns and cardamom pods on medium heat, after a while add the chopped onion and simmer a little more.
Add the chopped tomatoes and keep simmering for about 10mins
Add the cooked lentils and broccoli and a little water and keep simmering until you get a nice creamy consistency, then put on a lid
Cut the potatoes and mushrooms in slices and put in a frying pan, add salt and pepper and fry until golden
Make lime zest from the lime peel, and add about 1/3 tsp to the caserole, add some of the lime juice too
Add the coriander leaves and chili, along with some fresh ground pepper and about 1/2 tsp salt
Add the chick peas
Let it simmer for a couple of minutes

Serve with the potatoes/mushrooms and yoghurt on the side.
Bon Apetit!
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby Agibson » 30 Apr 2016, 14:19

that looks amazing, thanks!!
Agibson
Salt Bather