Postpartum chronic AF

Chronic AF

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postpartum chronic AF

Postby Alecia Marie » 15 Jan 2018, 10:03

I am 9 months postpartum and trying to heal a chronic AF. I had a difficult delivery and ended up with a 3rd degree tear which is when I think I got the AF. As far as healing goes, I often feel like I’m healing and then for no reason it flares up, pain, blood and spasms. I have used heat, sitz baths, Nifedipine, miralax, colace, high fiber diet and lots of water. I just ordered Panicure and an infrared light and I have an appointment with a 2nd CRS this week to get a 2nd opinion and try another prescription. I’m also thinking about ordering suppositories or making them. I need to know that I’ve tried everything possible if I’m considering Botox or LIS.

The scariest thing about this AF is knowing that my best option without healing on my own is LIS and the complications that can come from surgery are pretty terrifying. The spasms have been the worst. I’ve had them last a few days and cause difficulty going to the bathroom. Just miserable.

However, I’d say from day to day I do well as far as my attitude, comfort level and hope. ( Taking care of my baby I think helps with this. Makes things less about me and distracts my thoughts from perseverating about my AF) But when it flares up this fissure is a beast that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I do have to say the pain of it has brought me closer to God. My hope is in him. I meditate on verses and pray every morning now while I’m in the bathroom! :)

Are there any other mamas out there with a chronic AF? Please share your story and road to healing. I’d love to hear. I have no other mama friends who have experienced this.

Much love and healing!
Alecia
Alecia Marie

Topics: 1

Re: Postpartum chronic AF

Postby Hopefull123 » 15 Jan 2018, 14:21

Hi Alyssa, I am sorry to hear about your pain. What diet are you following? Even with laxatives, some foods will make your stool slightly harder and that would continuing raring the fissure everyday. For me this is grains, nuts, beans, rice, dairy, sugar, etc. Also insoluble fiber bulks up the stool, which is another problem. Experiment with your diet, try only soluble fiber let's say from yams and potatos, but not much raw veggies, beans, etc. This is tje only thing tjay works for me to get just the right consistency. Just a few bites of chocolate ruin everything, sadly. I am 10 days pain free now solely due to this diet. Hopefully in two three months when it heals I can start eating normally. If after that there is a set back, I will have no choice but to opt LIS. You just can't live with this pain. The chance of incontinence is about 2%. Many people have gone back to normal after LIS.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Jan 2018, 14:48

Hi Alecia, as you probably got your AF from delivery then there is a good chance you could heal on your own with just the cream as your normal IS resting tone may not be high and if you can stop the spasms then that will help the healing. Diliatazem is good, but I must say I found GTN to be the best at stopping the spasms. Make sure you have as many hot baths a day as possible as this will relax the sphincter muscles and also promote blood flow and increase healing. Do not wipe with toilet paper use either a shower head or portable bidet, if you have to then wet the toilet paper.
I have had never in my life experienced pain that even come close to the agony of a spasm, I was literally rolling around the floor screaming and mine could last for 12 hours after a BM.
Everyone is different in regards to food eat what you think works best for you, my CRS said a smooth torpedo is the ideal BM as it isn’t hard or dry, naturally stretches the sphincter, doesn’t leave any residue to irritate fissure and isn’t acidic like more runny BMs. Only trial and error will help you figure that out.
I have had LIS and have had no form of incontinence, not even slight soiling and trust me with my crohns I have very explosive liquid BMs. The surgeons never cut the length of the muscle anymore so the risk of incontinence is negligible.
I hope you heal without surgery but please don’t be scared of if if it becomes an option, Botox has healed a few people on here....mamafizz and BumUK both wrote diaries about their Botox
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Ash1988 » 17 Jan 2018, 04:34

Hi Alecia!

I’m in the same boat as you! 7 months after baby and still dealing with fissure!

I think I was close to healing before xmas, but then I ate and drank too much and had a retear!

The only advice I have is drink lots of water and keep stool soft! I take lactulose every night before bed and drink tons! When the pain was at its worst I used rectogesic for 8 weeks and it definitely helped!

I have some good days where I don’t feel anything and some bad days were it burns a lot! I have a hospital appointment on Friday, so hopefully someone who knows what they are looking at can help me!

Fingers crossed for you! They definitely don’t warn you about this when pregnant!

Xx
Ash1988
Salt Bather

Topics: 7