Fissure - 5 months in

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby flax » 14 Jan 2020, 13:12

Get a cup of tea, this is a long 'intro'...

Age 31, gave birth 5 months ago.

My story starts with one regular external hemorrhoid that came during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It's a common pregnancy symptom, so I was not too concerned. I had very little pain/bleeding, it was just uncomfortable (like everything else in the 3rd trimester). I was careful not to strain, but didn’t seek help/use any creams. I figured it was pointless for as long as I was still pregnant and naively thought it would 'just go away' after birth.
Then I gave birth (aka extreme straining for hours) I ended up with quite a variety of piles down there. Internally and externally. I was assured they were completely normal and to use steroid gel and to give it a few weeks to settle. The pain/blood was minimal, mostly uncomfortable. (Then again I had an episiotomy with complications so all of my focus was on that pain for the first 2 months). Due to breastfeeding and suddenly eating a diet of anything fast or cakes from visitors (newborn life) I ended up a bit constipated (despite going to the bathroom daily) and found that my bm's became more hard, painful and going to the bathroom started to take longer. With a newborn, personal time is virtually impossible and I had subconsciously started to strain to speed things up.
A my 6 week postpartum check with my doctor I was prescribed lactulose to take daily (15ml) and 2 weeks of hemorrhoid suppositories. Having never used anything like this before I was quite nervous and a bit embarrassed at the idea of sticking something up my bum everyday. The wax suppositories had very sharp edges. I would rub my fingers along the edges to warm up the wax and smooth it down before inserting. 2 weeks passed and nothing had really changed. I had still not put 2 and 2 together to realise that that my new baby life diet and lack of additional water I so badly needed whilst exclusively breastfeeding was the cause of the constipation and that fixing this could of been my quick get out card.
I continued to strain and the pain/blood started to increase along with internal aches after bm's. I went back to the doctor and was given another 2 weeks of suppositories. One day, whilst rushing (and forgetting to smooth down the wax edge) I managed to insert the suppository at a funny angle, I flinched and my anus muscle dragged the suppository inside quite fast... I felt the pain right away, this is the moment my fissure was born. :evil:
The next days it was obvious things had stepped up, the little spots of blood had turned into drips turning the toilet water dark red. The pain (as described by so many on here) was like (and continues to be) like shitting broken glass. It became extreme to the point that I was unable to sit on the toilet as this created too much pressure, I started going to the bathroom in a standing squat. The pain left my body in cold sweats and I had to bite down on my hand. It got so bad one day that I was physically unable to relax to release a stool. I went straight to my doctor, she was unable to examine me 1. there was a hard stool in the way and 2. it would have been excruciatingly painful. She explained I had to pass the stool & come back for an examination. She prescribed xylocain 2% numbing gel. At first this seemed to take away 70% of the pain, and I was able to have bm’s (still painful but made it possible) I continued to bleed (heavier each time, to the point of blood running down the back of my thighs, whilst in my standing squat) I went back to be re-examined and mentioned the blood loss and that I had also started to consistently loose weight (I had already lost my baby weight after 1 month of birth, this new weight loss was now going below my regular weight) due to these factors I was sent to have a rectoscopy to check if the bleeding was from my colon or possibly higher up.
Rectoscopy - Firstly the doctor was extremely heavy handed, before using the instrument, he shoved his finger so hard/fast into my bum that I almost kicked him in the face. The pain made me sick to my stomach, he seemed surprised that it could possibly cause so much pain. The rectoscopy took about 5 minutes and was surprisingly much less painful than his finger, he confirmed I had internal piles and a fissure. He said I should scrap the suppositories, go back to gel and give it a few more weeks. I cried a lot after this appointment. To go through the pain of the examination just to be told there was nothing he could do and to carry on living my daily hell until it miraculously passed?
A few more weeks of hell passed, not leaving the house until I had safety been to the bathroom at home. The gel either stopped being effective, or masked the pain that much that I have made things worse down there and now the gel is unable to numb the level of pain I have.
In the last weeks I have started to become extremely desperate about my situation and mentally affected. I started to google for other peoples experiences and found this forum and then it hit me… my diet? why on earth did I not start with this (baby brain??) So as of 2 weeks ago, I completely cut out dairy, I have doubled my water intake (I was already drinking a lot, but not enough for a breastfeeding mum) I’m on a high fibre diet with a morning smoothie containing chia seeds, flax seeds, psyllium husk, and prunes.
I’m taking daily epsom salt sitzs baths (15-20 mins) and using coconut oil suppositories.
The weight loss and bleeding continues.
My stools are soft except the tips, these remain hard and make the initial stage of of bm extremely painful still. Once this part is passed the rest of the stool is very quick and somewhat ‘painless’
I guess I’m joining this group for solidarity in a shitty situation (no pun..) and to hopefully continue to read good tips and success stories.
flax
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: NEWBIE

Postby North West Jen » 14 Jan 2020, 23:11

Hello and welcome! I’m right there with you girl! Long story short my situation is similar to yours. I was misguided in general medicine and was given hemorrhoid cream after hemorrhoid before I finally went to urgent care in tears. That’s when they referred me to CRS. She took one look at my butt and confirmed fissure (at this point I still had no idea what a fissure was and thought I had a nasty stubborn hemorrhoid!). She advised me to stop with the creams I was given and to take diltiazem. This worked SLOWLY until about 4 weeks in and I developed a rash to the cream. Unfortunately, after I stopped using my fissure came right back. So, I tried Botox and that was a complete disaster. I will spear you the details. I’m scheduled for LIs January 27th so hopefully get rid of this. I’ve managed to heal but it’s still there. If I poop just the slightest wrong way, I am reminded by the soreness for most of the day. Some days I have very little pain. This roller coaster has gone in since I gave birth to my daughter 18 months ago.

Hang in there. It’s rough but your not alone and we WILL heal someday.

Take care,
NWJ
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby North West Jen » 14 Jan 2020, 23:13

Sorry for the typos. I’m typing this in my phone and realized there were quite a few. Haha
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby flax » 15 Jan 2020, 03:00

Thank you for your reply NWJ, I’m so sorry you are also having such a hard time. Sending you lots of luck for the 27th, I don’t know too much about the LIS procedure but I am sure it will come up soon in all of the research I am doing.

It’s so sad to be discovering just how common these things are postpartum and how many people much be suffering in silence.

I am due to return to work next month and I just don’t know how it’s going to be possible...
flax
Fibre Addict

Postby North West Jen » 15 Jan 2020, 09:37

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I didn’t see you are taking miralax. This really helped me ensure by BMs are soft every time. This and nightly baths I think are what really works. Everything else I found to not work.

Keep us posted on your recovery! And good luck to you doing back to work. I know it’s so hard and emotional. I just wanted to stay home with my baby but financially it didn’t make sense for us.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby flax » 16 Jan 2020, 04:05

I am taking lactulose (15ml every evening) is this similar to Miralax? I have also been reading a little bit about GTN? muscle relaxing ointment. This seems like it could help so I will ask tomorrow. At the moment my doctor only prescribed lidocaine 2% numbing gel, I guess this isn't the same thing.

I had a bad day yesterday to the point of screaming out loud in the bathroom, my partner was home at the time and decided enough was enough and called the hospital and got me an emergency appointment tomorrow. So it looks like I'm going in for a 2nd rectoscopy however this time with the head of dept. I'm hoping it will not be anything like my first experience a month ago.

I really don't want to go back to work however reality calls, the same for us..financially it would not be possible any other way :( this whole fissure experience along with the ongoing episiotomy complications have made me too terrified to have a second child so it feels extra sad for this special time to soon be over. It gets easier leaving them right? haha
flax
Fibre Addict

Postby North West Jen » 16 Jan 2020, 09:26

I don’t know if it’s similar to miralax. Miralax pushes water into your colon making your poos soft. You should absolutely be getting some relaxing cream. GTN cream isn’t well tolerated as it causes headaches. My doc gave me diltiazem instead. Lidocaine does nothing but numb it and doesn’t aid in healing.

As far as a second child, maybe discuss having a planned C section. Your complications warrant that discussion in my opinion.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby flax » 17 Jan 2020, 12:36

Had my appointment today.

Lactulose upped from 15ml daily, to 20ml 3 x day. If no improvement to hard stool/pain within 1 week I am to use a prescribed GTN cream, however it's not to be used whilst breastfeeding...which my baby of 5 months is exclusively breastfed. So we have to spend the next week getting her used to drinking from a bottle just incase...

I have a follow up appointment at the hospital in 2 months time to check the healing, if I am not better I will be given the botox injections.

Good luck on the 27th NWJ, do you have a thread on here? Would like to follow how you get on.
flax
Fibre Addict

Postby North West Jen » 28 Jan 2020, 00:13

Thank you. I do have a thread... My 2020 LIS and Fissurecotomy.

Just had LIS today and have updated my thread.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby flax » 03 Mar 2020, 04:54

I'm posting this update on my thread for any women out there who may be sat in tears desperately googling "postpartum anal fissure, not healing, bleeding, breastfeeding postpartum constipation help" (like I was when I found this forum)

I was so desperate to the point of becoming depressed about my daily situation that had been on going for 5 months. I had read so many scary stories online and convinced myself I would never heal, and that my life would never be the same. I even decided in the lowest moments I would never have a 2nd child just to avoid this ever happening again.

I'm now almost 7 months postpartum. I have had what can only be described as a hellish journey over the last months, but I'm now 99.9% healed and can say to those in a similar situation to mine that it is possible with time and self help. I can’t know if I'm healed permanently or if it will ever come back, but I will continue to be extremely careful with every bm and my diet over the next months. I can say I've now been healed for about 3 weeks. I am one of the unluckly-lucky ones. (One of the unlucky % to be affected by a chronic fissure after birth, one of the lucky % who heals without the use of GTN, Botox or LIS)

Read my initial post on this thread for the history, read below for the things I have tried/learnt over the last 6 months that I believe has helped me:

- Water, water, water - drink it until you fear you might medically drown yourself.

- Daily bowl of oats with oat milk. I added a tablespoon of seed mix (see line below) Topped with a chopped fruit, prunes are good for constipation.

- Homemade seed mix – I made up a jar containing equal portions of Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Psyllium husk, hulled Hemp seeds and Pumpkin seeds. Every day I took a tablespoon of the mix and added it to my porridge oats before heating.

- Breathing techniques, long, deep. In through the nose for 4 seconds, out through the mouth for 8 seconds.

- Learn how your pelvic floor muscles feel and focus on deeply relaxing them throughout the day. A good tip with this. Is your jaw tensed? The jaw and pelvic region are connected somehow, relax your jaw and see if you notice a difference.

- 15-20 mins Sitz baths daily after a bm (30ml epsom salt and enough hot water to sit in)

- Coconut oil – applied externally and about 2-3cm internally just before a bm to help pass any hard tips, also used in the evening as supository. (Antibacterial and healing properties)

- Lactulose 20ml, three times a day (I needed a lot due to breastfeeding causing constipation, see what works for you)

- I was prescribed Xylocain 2% numbing gel to apply when my fissure was at its worst. I did not need to use the gel in the last month of my healing as things has improved so much.

- Walking/Activity – my constipation was much worse on days I didn’t manage to get outside for a walk. With a newborn this isn’t always easy, even just try doing laps around your house or an at home mat stretch/work out will help.

- In my worst 2 months I drastically changed my diet, clean, lean, protein, fibre, no junk food.

I am sure there are a few things I have missed but I will come back and edit if so, but for now the baby is awake from the nap!

* Note I am still breastfeeding and plan to do so for the next 5-6 months. Therefore to avoid any constipation I have decided to continue with my lactulose in reduced dosage. I will gradually try to phase this out but will continue to take it whilst breastfeeding if needed.

I really hope this post helps someone, even if it just give you some hope :) Please feel free to comment or message me if you have any questions, or are reading this years later and wonder if it ever returned! (I hope not!)
flax
Fibre Addict