Rectal spasms.

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Rectal spasms.

Postby mike1971 » 18 Jun 2018, 11:22

I know this is a vague question......

But to rectal spasms heal on their own?

Weeks? Months?

Anyone?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Rectal spasms.

Postby Manitourose » 18 Jun 2018, 16:08

Hi Mike1971. Are you meaning the ones following a BM when you have a fissure? Not sure what you are describing.
Manitourose

Postby mike1971 » 25 Jun 2018, 15:32

Hello all I believe I'm suffering from spasms of the external sphincter muscle. I believe it's also known as the pubococcygeus of the levator ani muscle.

The reason I believe so is yesterday after a bowel movement I went to clean up with the detachable shower head and while I was gently cleaning around the sphincter I could feel with my fingers a thick band of muscle which wraps around the sphincter tensing up and relaxing like a muscle that flexes and relaxes. I could feel it as I press my fingers around the skin just outside my anus.

I didn't have a bowel movement today and went to wash and rinse and I didn't feel that think band of muscle tensing up and letting go.

I believe this is the cause of my tightness and pain a few hours after a bowel movement.

I'm still constipated and have to strain and push some. Still having 1 bowel movement every 48 hours. Still dreading the thought of having a bowel movement due to the pain.

Are there any other members out there whom figured out their muscle spasm / pelvic floor muscles are in spasm and if so how.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mike1971 » 26 Jun 2018, 14:29

Could it possibly be a fissure?

Well I was wiping a little blood on the wipes after a bm a couple months ago. This was before the fistula operation. I only noticed a little blood for about a week and it was on the tissue had blood on the side where the abscess and fistula openings were. So the little blood may have been oming from those sources (not sure) Since then I have no blood on the tissues or stool when I wipe.

I've never had the glass like pain on a bowel movement though. I don't have much pain on a bowel movement nor for a few hours afterwards. Just a weird tight slightly burning feeling like something is in my rectum.

I just read my surgeons report after fistulotimy under EUA and it stated he had seen "no evidence of perianal spasm, fissure, stenosis, or Crohn's disease". He also wasn't particularly concerned about the hemorrhoids.

I never experienced constipation before I had the perianal abscess. Two weeks prior to getting the abscess I had a bad 5 day bout of diarrhea. Vomiting the first day, then running to the toilet 10-15 times a day. My GP thinks it was rotavirus.

Could I have traumatized the muscles in my pelvic floor when I had the bout of diarrhea? I remember they were pretty violent and I was straining a lot.

Shortly thereafter that's when the pain after bm's started. It's been 4 months. the same pain before the fistulotomy surgery, and still the same pain afterwards.

Its been almost 42 hours since a bowel movement. I had the pain shortly after the bm a couple days ago. Today I've Ben relatively pain free.

So I'm thinking my pain after bm's is still associated with spasms of my sphincter muscle.

I'm sure I'll have a bm in the next few hours. When I wash I'll feel the muscles just outside surrounding my anus to feel for muscles tensioning.

Is it possible a few hours after a bm when I get the start of the tight burning pain that it is actually the sphincter muscle tightening or spasm in and then a few hours later when the pain is relieved the muscle relaxes?

Interestingly, when I had seen the surgeon last week he now believes I may have "spasms". He had prescribed diltiezem cream 2% to apply 2 or 3 times a day.

Will the cream help if I do indeed have a fissure?

As well, does the cream help with the pain and spasm of the sphincter muscle?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Jun 2018, 23:42

If you have a tight muscle then the ointment should help to loosen things up, increasing blood flow and helping with healing. Try using it 20 minutes before a BM to make it easier to go. If you're so constipated that you're only going every 2 days then perhaps you could try a stimulant laxative like Senna. It's only meant to be used short term though, unlike miralax which can be used longer. Or maybe you can increase your miralax dose until you are more mobile. Whatever you do, it would be best to not go every 2 days and have to strain. It won't help with reducing the pain.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby mike1971 » 27 Jun 2018, 07:28

Thanks Patience.

Applied the cream (pea size portion) on my an us (not in) last night after a bm and shower.

Woke up at 2 am with sever burning pain, possibly around my fistuloromy wound. Had to wash it off.

8:30 am still in bed and in pain. don't think I'll use that again.

Going to see my GP at 11 am need help.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mike1971 » 27 Jun 2018, 19:51

Anyone out there whose had a fistulotomy experience pain and muscle spasms after a bowel movement?

A fistulotomy involves cutting a portion of the lower sphincter muscle so would that mean it is very possible to experience both pain and muscle spasm after a bowel movement?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist