My review of 6 different dilators

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

My review of 6 different dilators

Postby William2 » 12 Mar 2020, 19:07

Here are my opinions of six different dilators. I've spent way too much money trying to find the best dilator. Hopefully, I can help others not do the same thing.

The ones that I like:
---------------------

Dilatan - These stay cold (or hot, if you prefer) due to being filled with a cryoliquid. These were absolutely essential at first, because the cold took care of inflammation that I had (that I think was related to my bleeding problem). They are 100% firm, though, so I occasionally would have discomfort after dilating from the end poking me, especially with the bigger ones. The 30mm one never worked for me.

Sinclair Select Deluxe - These are really good, but the firmness changes with size (small-floppy, large-very firm). They have a 7/8" one, which is great to transitioning to from 3/4" to 1". The 1" one is perfect, because it is a little firmer than most on the market but bendy enough to not poke the sides. That one is the best one of all for my dilating.

Soul Source - These are really good, and they have 1/8" steps that make transitioning easier. They need lots of lube, though, to prevent rubbing against the sides.

The ones that I don't like:
---------------------------

VuVa - These are hollow plastic, so you can't cool or heat them. They are also a little rougher than I'd like. Not bad if you want a light, firm dilator.

Intimate Rose - These are very similar to the Soul Source, but a little slicker. The horrible thing is that they stupidly etch their name into the rubber along the side of the dilator, making it rough.

Fuze Step - I just used this once. I felt some discomfort afterwards as if it rubbed to much.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Re: My review of 6 different dilators

Postby chachacha » 12 Mar 2020, 23:18

Thanks for such a detailed review. I'm sure that this will be a very helpful post for our members.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: My review of 6 different dilators

Postby Tray » 29 Jan 2021, 07:17

William2 wrote:Here are my opinions of six different dilators. I've spent way too much money trying to find the best dilator. Hopefully, I can help others not do the same thing.

Hello,

and thank you for your review. Very helpful experience based information!

You mention "rubbing against the sides" or "poking the sides". Can you (or someone) help me understand this better, please. English is not my first language and I'm not sure if these two thingies are same or different. Also, am not sure if you are referring to the base part that is left outside, or the inside friction.

Thanks!

And yippee, my first post!
Tray