1 year post fissure

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

1 year post fissure

Postby Wily » 12 May 2019, 07:00

Thinking of every one on this forum.

I am now 1 year 4 months post fissure and hope fervently every day for it never to return.

Be well everyone and there is hope.
Wily
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 1 year post fissure

Postby Pherianne » 20 May 2019, 14:45

Thank you for sharing Willy. Have you posted how you managed to get rid of this curse from your life , I’d love to read it.
Pherianne
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: 1 year post fissure

Postby Wily » 06 Jun 2019, 18:54

Just realised that I had posted this in the wrong section...

Anyway, I don't have any magic to reveal i think that I am just lucky. I was on GTN (nitrate) cream for about two months and towards the end I started using haemorrhoid suppositories (unmedicated zinc) of an evening, thinking that that might ease the passage of my morning BM. I don't think that the zinc would have done any treatment on the fissure itself as the supp melts in the rectum but possibly 'filled' the fissure during defaecation? Anyway, I really don't know if it helped or not.

I also, around the same time, used ispaghula husk every morning and stopped using large amounts of insoluble fibre. It really started to heal at that time - no more bleeding and less burning and finally it just suddenly stopped going into spasm and within the next week felt relatively normal - what an amazing relief that was.

Since then I have had some twinges (I guess that there is scar tissue) but that could also be related to internal haemorrhoids, the treatment of which was the genesis of the AF.

the location of the fissure was consistent with the site of my treated haemorrhoid so i think the two were probably related.

I can't be certain if the healing of my AF was helped by the change in diet and the supps it could be just coincidental. Around that time I was doing a lot of reading of journal articles and there is some interesting evidence around topical antibiotic therapy - essentially a chronic AF is an ulcer - so that was going to be my next step.

I work in the health field as an RN but had never come across AF in my practice. I was shocked at how debilitating it is and was starting to despair. Now I am pretty religious with taking soluble fibre - I have always eaten a lot of fruit but now add ispaghula husk to my morning routine.

good luck everyone with your treatment and I hope that you have success.
Wily
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2