Had surgery yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had surgery yesterday

Postby Marsh37 » 16 Apr 2010, 11:39

Hello All
I went to the hospital yesterday morning and I thought he was just going to do the Sphincterotomy. When I woke up in the recovery room I was in a tremendous amount of pain they gave me the max amount of medicine they could for an outpatient. I found out later why I was in much pain the doctor fixed the Fissure and took and two hemmroids and banded a third. One day later I am still moving around pretty slow and I am taking the pain meds on a regular basis because I am still pretty sore. I am not sure why he decided to band the third hemmroid and at the time when he was talking to me I was out of it So has this happened to anyone else? Thank you
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Had surgery yesterday

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Apr 2010, 11:45

Awww man I'm sorry to hear that :( :(
So they did the LIS, plus removed two hemorrhoids, plus banded a third hemorrhoid??? That's a good amount of work, no wonder you're in pain!
I think we have some others who have had hemorrhoid surgery before, maybe they'll chime in. What did the surgeon tell you he was going to do before you went in? I'd have expected him to be clear about everything that was going to be done...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Marsh37 » 16 Apr 2010, 16:52

Hi Ng
Initally when I first seen the doctor in his office he tried to do an anuoscope (Spelling) but, it was way to painful so he said he wanted to put me under sedation and take a look. I had no idea that all that was going on in there. So the doc gave me hydrocodone for the pain Im taking 1-2 tabs every 4 hrs
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Apr 2010, 17:03

That sucks Marsh. I used to have hemorrhoids and my thought would be that maybe the third hemorrhoid wasn't bad enough to warrant surgery so he banded it instead? It still seems weird that he'd remove two and just band the third (I'd have expected him to just remove the third one too since he's in there already), but maybe he figured you'd had enough done in one procedure and wanted to minimize additional discomfort Image
Either way I'm sorry that he wasn't more clear about what he intended to do beforehand... Let's hope it was for the best in the long run and solves your problems at least. I'm surprised you're online just one day after all that. BTW there is stronger stuff than Vicodin (like Percocet), so you can always ask for something stronger if it's not killing the pain sufficiently -- don't suffer needlessly if you don't have to! Hope things improve over the next few days.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 16 Apr 2010, 18:22

Marsh,
Do the pain meds seem to be constipating???????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Marsh37 » 16 Apr 2010, 20:59

Yes they are.. I dont want to end up in the same boat. im a little frustrated.
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 17 Apr 2010, 05:07

Are you taking Miralax???????
cherylk
VIP

Postby Marsh37 » 17 Apr 2010, 07:46

Yes, the doctor advised taking benefiber but, I like miralax better. He also advised that I take colace at night which I have done. I just havent been able to go to the bathroom yet... I am so afraid of getting to constipated. any suggestions Image would be appreciated. I dont want to just lay in bed but, when I move around to much Im in alot of pain...afterward I know this to shall pass but geez when? I dont want to stay on the pills but it hurts down there....OMG Image
Marsh37
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 17 Apr 2010, 15:10

I take both Miralax and Benefiber. Also, figs have a lot of fiber, and oranges are good to eat also. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Apr 2010, 23:23

Hey Marsh, any improvement yet? Hemorrhoid surgery recovery is supposed to be more involved than LIS so I'd wager that's where the majority of the pain is coming from. Hope you were able to go to the bathroom by now...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure