Hello I has just had a fistulotomy.

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Hello I has just had a fistulotomy.

Postby mike1971 » 27 May 2018, 14:47

Hello everyone. My name is Mike. I'm a 47 year old male living in Toronto Canada.

I have been reading many threads here in the last couple of months and have become familiar with many of the members. Unfortunately I had a perianal abscess burst on me late February of this year and have been suffering from a fistula with 2 external openings. Last week (May 18th) I went in to the local hospital for an EUA and fistulotomy.

I am hoping to share my experience thus far in hopes of helping others and getting the same in return. I'm in a bad position and feel lonely, depressed, and helpless.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Hello I has just had a fistulotomy.

Postby chachacha » 27 May 2018, 15:06

Are you in Toronto proper, or a suburb (I'm in TO)? I ask because there are a lot of really great surgeons in the city and I hope that you went to one of them.

Will you be starting another thread with your diary? I'm sure that many people would benefit from hearing how things went/are going for you.

It is very hard to deal with these things, so not surprising that you're feeling down. Hopefully, as you continue to heal, you'll start to feel more positive about it all. When are you scheduled for a followup?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mike1971 » 27 May 2018, 15:19

Hello Cha thank you for replying.

I-m in the Markham area. I was referred to the chief of general surgery at MSH Markham Stouffville Hospital by my family doctor. I've been told he's a very good surgeon by many different people. But I'm afraid to say I didn't see any accredited Colorectal certificates in his office or business card.

But I'm having second doubts I should have seen a CRS to begin with.

My follow up is set for Jun 6th.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 27 May 2018, 15:41

We used to be able to look up our surgeons on the Canadian Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeon's website, but they've recently revamped their site and no longer have a list (it says it's "coming soon").

In Toronto, many surgeons who perform colon and rectal surgeries are listed as "general surgeons", but those listed on the site mentioned above consider their specialty to be in that field. I wish that they still had the list up (I even tried to find a cached page!), but maybe they'll have it back soon. My own surgeon is classified by Sunnybrook as a general surgeon, but 95% of his surgeries are of the colo-rectal variety.

Great that you'll be seeing him again soon and I'm sure that he'll alleviate any concerns that you have.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mike1971 » 27 May 2018, 16:19

Thanks Cha.

Can anyone tell me if it is technical to simply cut open two low superficial fistula tracks and simply let them heal inside out with no packing or stitches? Apparently the two I had were within 1/2 of the anus at the 10am and 11 am position. As per the surgeon report there was one internal opening at the 12 o'clock position. I was expecting a seton but the surgeon mentioned they were very low and superficial so he just cut into them. ?

Also, the fistula at the 10 am position was feeding a superficial skin abscess that is still there after almost 3 months with a small pocket of active bacteria (so basically he cut that open). So the skin abscess was still there and active when he performed the fistulotomy. I can still see yellow pus and some blood draining from the incision.

I am trying to keep the area clean by regularly wiping with baby wipes (non-perfumed) and doing a couple sitz baths and showering on a daily basis after a bowel movement. I even wash with a hand sprayer in between. I had a small external hemorrhoid but noticed a second larger thrombosed hemorrhoid right after surgery at the 6 pm position of my anus which really sucks. I had briefly seen the surgeon 5 days after surgery in his office for a quick inspection as I was concerned and he said "everything looks good. Better than I was expecting. Those hems will go away, it will get better give it some time I promise".

Can anyone tell me if this abscess or hemorrhoids would "flare" so to say and cause me pain for 5 or 6 hours out of the day everyday on a regular basis? I've had this daily pain that I never had before since the initial bursting of the abscess back in late February. It's odd. It's like a tightness, slightly burning, pressure filled pain that usually lasts for hours everyday and gradually build in tension during various times each day. In his post-op report the surgeon mentioned he didn't see any signs of Crohn's, stenosis or muscle spasms. He did perform a sigmoidsocopy 1 month earlier which he did mention he did not see any evidence of Crohn's and said to the nurse "I'm not banding today" as if he was expecting to band some hems. Maybe he decided not to because f the active fistulas and abscess (not sure as I didn't specifically ask him).
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mike1971 » 27 May 2018, 16:41

Not sure how I'm going to get through this and how long it will take. Looks like I'm dealing with a perianal skin abscess that's still active and draining, two fistulas that were simply cut open, 2 thrombosed hems, and an odd chronic daily pain that lasts for hours.

This has really knocked me off my feet.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby draingrrrl » 30 May 2018, 08:58

mike1971,
I feel your pain, I've been dealing with a reoccurring perianal abscess and complex anal fistula for over a year. There is nothing you can do but just take it a day at a time, one surgery at a time and try not to get the wave of disappointment to wash over you.
draingrrrl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mike1971 » 30 May 2018, 17:09

Thanks draingrrrl sorry to hear your situation and really wish you all the best.

Do you mind me asking do you have any underlying health issues... i.e Crohn's, diabetes.

Have you had any surgery? If yes what type......
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mike1971 » 30 May 2018, 17:34

Never mind draingrrl.

Just read your other thread regarding your experience. Thank you for sharing.

You've truly dealt with much more than I could possibly imagine.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby draingrrrl » 05 Jun 2018, 08:13

mike1971 wrote:Thanks draingrrrl sorry to hear your situation and really wish you all the best.

Do you mind me asking do you have any underlying health issues... i.e Crohn's, diabetes.

Have you had any surgery? If yes what type......

No crohn's or diabetes... I'm just unlucky!
draingrrrl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?