FISTULECTOMY - POST-OP CONCERN

Fecal/Pus Drainage from Healing Wound

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

FISTULECTOMY - POST-OP CONCERN

Postby Nerdley91 » 18 Mar 2021, 22:56

This forum has been very helpful, supportive, and humbling to read. So thank you all.

I had a simple fistula that was draining from the perineum for about two years. I had a fistulectomy done on February 24th, 2021 (21 days ago). Everything post-surgery had been going relatively well until this past Monday morning.

I have been keeping a small square of gauze over the wound for the past two weeks and have been changing it at least twice a day. The gauze typically would have very small amount of pus drainage and very very light in color. Also to note: Taking at least three sitz baths a day, but majority of the days have been 4 and sometimes 5 baths.

On this past Monday morning when I got up for my usual morning BM, I removed the piece of gauze and noticed very thick, dark pus drainage...almost a brownish color. There were also what seemed to be bits and pieces of fecal matter in the pus. I know this because I was able to identify two actual sesame seeds that would have come from the bun that was consumed with dinner the night before.

Phoned my doctor immediately, and he advised me to back off on food and switch over to liquid diet and supplement with Metamucil. He also got me on another round of antibiotics (Keflex). I am seeing him this Saturday.

Since Monday, I have noticed on two occasions some fecal particulate in the drainage. Also on one occasion, when I passed gas during a BM, I swear I felt a small amount of gas pas through the open wound. To me this means that the wound on the anal wall has reopened and is letting small amounts of feces into the healing would left behind by the fistulectomy, which then is making its way out to the perineum.

Does this mean that the surgery is moot? Will I have to undergo another procedure to mend the interior reopening?

I had not seen anything like this on the forum, but maybe I am not digging enough. So I apologize if this has already been a topic that was brought up.

Any correspondence would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Nerdley91

Topics: 1

Re: FISTULECTOMY - POST-OP CONCERN

Postby JK71 » 31 Mar 2021, 05:11

Hi, these things take time.
Talk to your CRS - For me it took about 45 days post cutting seton removal in order for the wound to heal. Until that day it was draining a pus like liquid.
In case it does not close and after 2 months you CRS will be able to assess the situation and next steps. Do not despair, this will be fixed, but takes time.
JK71

Re: FISTULECTOMY - POST-OP CONCERN

Postby brent1981 » 03 Jul 2021, 19:38

How has your condition been? Any improvements?
brent1981
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?