Fistulotomy Diary - Day Zero

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fistulotomy Diary - Day Zero

Postby MirandaYvonne » 27 Apr 2022, 17:33

I just got home from a fistulotomy. Just a little background first.

About two months ago, I developed an abscess. It wouldn’t fully heal up and I finally got in to see my CRS. He scheduled today’s surgery to drain it and check for a fistula. He said if he found one, he would operate.

4/27 - When I woke up from the anesthesia, I immediately felt pain. I told the nurse that and she was surprised, said I shouldn’t be feeling much because they had used numbing and pain medication. They had to give my more meds in my IV as well as give me an Oxy. I was also very emotional because My doctor was not there any more so no one had told me what had actually been done. My nurse told me they had found a fistula and he did a fistulotomy.

I’m feeling frustrated because the Doctor left without talking to me or giving me any instructions. All I was sent home with says I can shower in 24 hours and not to soak? I’m confused because I thought they would tell me to take sitz baths but I have no instructions at all regarding the actual wound or what exactly was performed. I’m going to call the office tomorrow morning and ask about sitz baths.

I think I’m still pretty heavily under the pain meds right now, but I’m feeling okay. Dreading my first bowel movement but I’m on miralax and drinking lots of water to make sure it’ll be soft. I will try to update on my experience as I go. I have no idea what to expect.
MirandaYvonne
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Fistulotomy Diary - Day Zero

Postby MirandaYvonne » 28 Apr 2022, 20:05

Day one after surgery:
It took ages for the local numbing anesthetic to wear off, which meant I didn’t have much pain at all over night. This morning I had my first bowel movement and I felt like I had less feeling/control over my sphincter muscle? I’m chalking that up to how swollen I think I am down there and I figure I’ll feel back to normal soon. BM was very soft and easy to pass, and I had very little discomfort when going. Afterward I got a shower, and a little while after my shower I took a sitz bath. Honestly felt almost zero pain all day. I’ve been keeping on top of taking ibuprofen every six hours so that any pain can’t creep up on me, but I haven’t needed anything heavier. It is now 9 at night and I’m starting to feel a bit more pain from just some sitting and movement today, so I’m going to go take another sitz bath. All in all, I cannot complain about my first day out. If every day from here in out is an improvement, then I imagine I’ll be pain free very very soon.

FYI it was a superficial fistula, and my abscess is actually an inch or two above my anal opening, so that might also be why my pain isn’t as bad as it is for others. I’m also on miralax every day and that has kept my stool soft without fail. I cannot recommend it enough.
MirandaYvonne
Salt Bather

Postby MirandaYvonne » 30 Apr 2022, 11:50

Day two post surgery - More pain today than previously, but still manageable with just ibuprofen. Another easy BM, showered after, and then took a sitz bath a little while later. My sitz baths have started to be very painful to the site of the abscess, so I can’t tolerate them for very long. Otherwise I don’t have too much pain there. There’s been a drop off in the amount of drainage and blood now. Since my doctor never stuck around to talk to me after the surgery, im wondering what the timeline for my healing is supposed to be. I have a follow up scheduled for two weeks after the surgery, and they did tell me I could return to work in one week, so im guessing I should really turn a corner by then.

I have a newborn so im actually spending a lot of my day reclining/sitting since im nursing a lot. I know I should get up more to walk and get circulation but I almost feel like that’s hard to do emotionally for me even though the pain hasn’t been bad.
MirandaYvonne
Salt Bather

Postby MirandaYvonne » 01 May 2022, 08:57

Day 3 post surgery - Another good day. Had some pain from the abscess site again but the BM was easy in the morning. I find that sitz baths are too painful so I’m sticking with showers to clean up after. I was actually having more pain from the gauze down there rubbing against my skin and irritating me than from any actual wound. I think the drainage is starting to dry out my skin down there too which is causing some itching and irritation pain. I still can’t believe how smoothly the recovery overall has gone though in comparison to my previous fissurectomy/ what I’ve read from other people.
MirandaYvonne
Salt Bather