fissure relapse after 2 years, healed again

hygiene and self massage are the answer

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

fissure relapse after 2 years, healed again

Postby occam » 08 Aug 2018, 15:03

Hi everyone. I'm back after a few years away because, well, my fissure came back. I had posted a long entry here, that may have been too much for some people, but describes in length my original fissure experience and the steps I took to heal, including a detailed recipe for homemade suppositories.

In a nutshell the suppositories, figuratively, saved my life after 9 agonizing months with an acute fissure. Once I started using them, I found my way back to a healthy anus in a matter of weeks. The suppositories consist of coconut oil that has been infused with a combination of dried herbs (comfrey, calendula, plantain leaf, and marshmallow root), which is then mixed with shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, and a few drops of vitamin e oil, rosemary oil, and tea tree oil. Disposable suppository molds are then filled with this mixture and placed in the refrigerator where they are stored and used as needed. Links to all the necessary supplies are included in the original post. It's about a 10 min read.

If making your own suppositories seems like more than you can handle. These Imix Nutrition FissureHeal Suppositories have similar ingredients to the ones I use in my recipe and would make a good substitute. Though I will say this, I spent a little over $100 on all the ingredients and had enough to make hundreds of suppositories, while theirs cost $50 for a box of 12, which isn't even enough for 2 full weeks.

Anyway, after using my homemade suppositories, I was fissure free for about 2 years, but this past March I became constipated and, even with stool softeners and laxatives, a very large and firm stool tore open my long-healed anal fissure. I'll spare you the details of my despair.

I made another batch of suppositories and poured the left over mixture into a small jar to apply manually. I did some more research and found a scientific study published on the US National Library of Medicine/National Institute of Health website about the effectiveness of self massage of the anus using your finger.

Anal self-massage in the treatment of acute anal fissure: a randomized prospective study

The article is very academic and will require your patience and full attention to get through, but I found it very helpful. I will summarize here. By inserting your finger into your anus for about 10 min a day, you will heal faster and have less chance of relapse. The digital stimulation does three things, it relaxes the anus, increases circulation, and helps to maintain the elasticity of the anus to ease in the passing of large stools. Those who used their own finger had better outcomes than those who used medical anal dilators. After a few days of inserting a finger for 10 min a day, the patients were then instructed to move their finger in a gentile and small circular motion to massage the anus, again, for 10 min per day. They did this for several months. The patients who used the anal massage technique showed an 80% improvement in healing compared to standard non-invasive treatment.

I used, and continue to use, this technique on myself. It's a bit awkward at first and requires you to get past any squeamishness you may have about putting your finger in your butt. The most comfortable way to do this involved me sitting on the edge of my bathtub, hanging my rear over the edge, and reaching around/behind to insert my finger. As I mentioned above, I poured my left over suppository mixture into a jar, which I used as lubricant, which has the added benefits of all the healing ingredients. If you do not want to make the suppository mixture, just use coconut oil which works great as a lubricant, has healing properties of its own, and feels quite soothing with no stinging or burning of any kind.

If you are having anal spasms that make inserting your finger difficult, fill your tub with warm water, sit in the water in a way that allows the water to come in contact with your anus, and practice contracting and relaxing your anus for about 5 to 10 min a day. I know how painful spasms are and this is the technique my doctor told me to use to help ease my spasm. It worked for me and is a great first step towards healing.

Another thing you may want to look into is using a portable bidet. It's the best $10 I've ever spent. I fill with warm water and use after every bowel movement. I keep one in my bathroom at all times and another in my briefcase to take to work and on trips. Wiping with toilet paper is not only uncomfortable when you have a fissure, it's not very hygienic. After using the bidet I blot dry with toilet paper and insert an herbal suppository.

Since my relapse in March I've gotten back to feeling 100% healed again. I no longer use the massage technique every day. But I still do it a few times a week. That, along with a healthy diet, is my recipe to remain fissure free into the future. Good luck!
occam

Topics: 2