Posting no longer available.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Posting no longer available.

Postby Jen » 24 Feb 2009, 23:49

Amy -
Yeah - I go back and forth on the fissurectomy. It could help, but more cuts could be a big mistake too. Whats the difference between a fissurectomy and scar tissue excision?
Sooo..you never had retares before the skin tag removal? My tares happen low in the anus...I can actually see my retares if I look with a mirror.
I am so nervous about tomorrow - I did not have a BM today! Yikes!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Feb 2009, 23:52

Hey Amy : ) !
I had fissurectomy both times Image . My first CRS did LIS on the right side and cut out my fissure on 6 o'clock position. I really do not know why he did it - it was not planned at all. I had fissure only for 5 months before my first LIS and there was no chance that any scar tissue or granulation started to form. I was actually mad at him for doing that since it caused big skin tag to form on that place after the LIS Image I asked him on my 2 week post op about the procedure and he said that he does it routinely - : " It is just what I do most of the time" blah blah blah... LOL He was arrogant SOB in many ways and I never went to see him again.
After very nice and pain free 4 months I started developing pain again and some irritation and than as far as I can remember around 4th of July I saw some blood and freaked out. I went to new CRS and he said that I was too tight still (actually 2 other CRSs also told me that in between check-ups ) and he suggested that we do colonoscopy to check it all inside since fissure was not visible during regular exam. During colonscopy he found small fissure on 12 o'clock position and that one was there probably for a long time , although small in size, was not a "fresh cut" . We decided to have LIS no 2 and he removed it since old fissures have a lot of scar tissue and can hinder the healing or even close on top but not under the surface and that way make fistula Image
So, all in all, it should be decided on case by case basis. If fissure does not look like fresh acute cut and has some scar tissue it should be refreshed to heal properly. Usually having it for 8 months to a year causes some scar formation - that is what I was told Image But , again, it all is individual and you should find a CRS who is really into your case and cares deeply about your pain and wants you to heal forever.
For me it meant changing 5 CRS and having 2 LIS surgeries, skin tag removal and inside centenial piles removed to reach my goal Image . Ask a lot of questions, and never take "ho-hum " answers as real answers - if he/she does not give you valid and thorough explanation of all that will be done, and how and why and "what if" - than maybe look into another CRS.
I wish you best of luck with everything Image
Jen - babe XOXO - so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with "left-overs" Image , please if you decide to do anything - look into new and VERY involved CRS who will know what he/she is doing and HOW to do it properly.
Take care buddy Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 25 Feb 2009, 04:00

Before my surgery I talked to my CRS and I asked him if he thought about doing fissurectomy...I said I didn't want him to do that and that I didn't want him to mess around more than necessary :oops:
He said he wouldn't and I got the impression he didn't "like" it, he said something like that could complicate things more....incontinence risk, etc....but we have learned one thing in this forum - different CRS = different views on things.
I had botox on November 4th, and January 10th I retore big time, and since then it has only become worse...so I would say for me Botox lasted about 2 months. Will never have it again, it is only a temporarily solution for me...
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2009, 07:35

snafu13 wrote:Also wondering, for those of you who have had botox and an LIS, did the LIS cause the feelings of "weirdness" like the botox did??
Amy

Humm ! I have suffered that slow moving feeling a couple of times since being out of LIS 4 weeks ago, means I have to really relax and go with the flow, never straining !
I have noticed my BMS were larger in size both with the botox and now LIS !

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2009, 09:04

Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fissulyna » 25 Feb 2009, 15:53

Amy - I am very pleased to hear that you are taking charge of your situation and seek opinion of couple of different CRSs. Even when they give different views, we can see "the bigger" picture ourselves, and even though I found the last CRS the most competent and caring at the end, others did give me some information that was new to me and valuable along the way. Even the frightening visit to general surgeon that was my first visit was a big step forward - he told me that I have a fissure and not hemorrhoid problem and that in itself catapulted my search into proper direction !!! I intuitively knew though that his "dilation" treatment option did not sound "butt friendly" and went for sec. opinion and was I lucky to do that !!!! Yes, ultimately it will be up to you what you will decide : ), and I am sure that after getting as much info as one possible can, you will make correct decision o both bases - intuitive and factual ; )) !
Tabby - don't judge your anus too soon LOL ! You are fresh "off the table" and your poor little hole is still "shocked out". It will get tighter too (sorry to inform), but never to the original "BM choking" stage Image You will be able to even push a little when feeling brave , ha ha - you will see. I was told by my last CRS to not judge anything until 6 MONTHS post op, and boy was he right !Hey - it is 6 months for me now Image - it looks like it was yesterday and 50 years ago at the same time LOL !
Corsi - don't sweat about it now buddy - people heal without fissurectomy just fine - it is just that it can help in some cases. If you for whatever reason need one (GOD FORBID), it can be done separately from the LIS. Please try to relax now in the post op. period and give your body optimal environment for healing to take place. Image In general , scar tissue can cause incontinence- that is why I choose LIS sooner, rather than later. That info was a major initiative for me to proceed with the surgery since it was scenario like this - either I have the LIS and end my suffering risking negligible % of possibility of getting incontinent , or I suffer for years and get incontinent anyway Image. I mean, incontinence actually looses any significance when one is in horrible pain :( . You now have great chance to heal once and for all Image and stay focused at that Image !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2009, 16:52

Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fissulyna » 25 Feb 2009, 17:01

Best of luck Amy - tomorrow at 10 is noted here LOL !!! Prayers go your way ; ) ! GS might be the "House" of GSes LOL - why not ?????!!!!! Mine was really "ancient" and that is why he did not know better , but he was very nice person !!! And, as I said - he gave me correct diagnosis without even conducting an exam - so he KNEW the books , but very old ones (sniffle...), I feel like hugging him and saying "it is OK dude, really..." ha ha.
It sounds like a great plan Amy : ))) - let us know how it all went ASAP
:paddysmiley2:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 26 Feb 2009, 06:53

Fissulyna wrote:Tabby - don't judge your anus too soon LOL ! You are fresh "off the table" and your poor little hole is still "shocked out". It will get tighter too (sorry to inform), but never to the original "BM choking" stage Image You will be able to even push a little when feeling brave , ha ha - you will see. I was told by my last CRS to not judge anything until 6 MONTHS post op, and boy was he right !Hey - it is 6 months for me now Image - it looks like it was yesterday and 50 years ago at the same time LOL !

Fissy - You are freaking me out in more ways than one !
I am not judging my anus just trying to answer Amys question as best I can - 4 weeks after LIS !

Postby Fissulyna » 26 Feb 2009, 14:19

Silly Tabby Image How is Fissy freaking you out LOL ??? You will have "normal" anus in 6 months. It will do alllll it is suppose to do but without fissuring Image LOL
You have right to "judge" your little hole any time my "Tubby" Image - it was not meant in that contest - oh boy Image
Fissulyna
VIP