Posting no longer available.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Posting no longer available.

Postby Guest » 26 Feb 2009, 18:17

Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cherylk » 26 Feb 2009, 18:26

Amy,
Multiple opinions always confused me. Seems like you are able to handle well the divergence of opinions. Good luck!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Feb 2009, 18:28

It's true, there is an amazing variation in the "practice" employed by the CRS or GS, and a wide variation in recovery duration for patients. I was told my recovery would be 2-3 weeks, others have said they were told they'd be back at work the next day, and in this forum have seen recovery rates that are just all over the board.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 26 Feb 2009, 22:15

Hey Amy Image !!!
You had great app. and I am so happy for you ! Yes, many CRS-s have different techniques and they use the one that they were trained in during their residency and the one that gives them PERSONALLY the best results Image . I LOVE to hear a lot of opinions - it gives one so much more information and great insight. The cauterization is one of the newest techniques and yes - it prevents muscle to grow together . That is what happened to me after my first LIS and my last CRS could not even find a scar tissue or ANY evidence that enything was ever done before Image . So he used "cut and hook" scalpel - one that does cut upward but "brakes" strands when pulled downward and "broken" threads can not seal back. He preferred that over cauter since it gave him more control. So, yes - definitely different preferences - but any "weapon" should be fantastic in the hands of a "master" !!!! Image
I was also told by all of my CRSs that cut is done until release is felt - so their experience is what counts the most. They all also told me that they cut accordingly to the size of the fissure . The most important parameters are - how many LISes he performed (it should be over 500), how many patients had incontinence problems (he should say none), and what was healing rate ( it should be 98%).
I am glad you found doctor that you like and trust and if he is going to be there post. op . for you too - than he might be a perfect doctor indeed.
Best of luck Amy with your second LIS !!!! May it resolve all of your problems forever
Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 27 Feb 2009, 00:05

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Feb 2009, 02:12

Ha ha, OMG :o - this is unbelievable !!! I asked them many times if that was possible and all but my last CRS told me that NO, it is not and that they never heard of anything like that !!!
Hey - butt-buddy Image - we should ask to be included in CRS manual as "special cases" he he- we deserve to have our butts illustrated in some encyclopedia after alllll that we had to endure and being dismissed while all this time we had "super sphincters " that regenerate like lizard tales Image Image !
Your GS sounds super-fantastic Image and yes, he probably did a ton of those since he is so versed in explanations and doing exam itself !!!! I am really so happy for you, dear Amy :D . Four weeks will fly by so fast and you will be on your way to final recovery Image
Hope you are not in much pain now Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 27 Feb 2009, 17:10

Postby Corsi » 28 Feb 2009, 03:52

My CRS has only done 10 before me... he said that one has to cut after fissures length.
I think Botox works, but only when it is in your butt and when it is gone one retears...so it only works temporarily the way I see it.
Amy, fishoil, olive oil, etc. works for me too... We have to be graphic here :)
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Feb 2009, 06:41

Let's see, I can think of three people on this board who wound up getting LIS after botox, and off the top of my head, just one person who healed -- eventually -- from multiple rounds of botox.
Although I haven't had Botox, I agree with Corsica. Botox is an immobilizer/paralysis inducer. But as it wears off, one can be right back at square 1, with restricted blood blow and the inability to heal and recurring fissure re-tears.
Deleted User 5

Postby Corsi » 28 Feb 2009, 06:43

I so agree, when it wore off I was back to square one, and my fissure became worse - even multiplying...
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18