13 days post-fistulotomy and fissure repair

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

13 days post-fistulotomy and fissure repair

Postby thefer74 » 01 Jan 2013, 21:17

Hi
I am about 13 days out from fistuolotomy, fissure repair, removal of hemmorhoids, and abscess drainage. It has been a rough recovery. I am on round #2 of antibiotics. During the last two days, I am getting alot of itching. I can also feel the stitches hanging out where they stitched down the muscle and laid open the fistula when I wipe. There is alot more bleeding and it feels like the cut is getting bigger, not smaller. I also notice that a little stool comes out sometimes when I pass gas. Is this normal? I see the CRS on Friday.
I am also confused on why he laid open the fistula when my chronic fissure has not healed or closed up for the last 4-5 yrs. Am I missing something? I feel like we extended the fissure so now I have a 1 1/2 inch cut from my anus towards the back. I am stressing because I have a cruise in July and if this is anything like my fissure, it will still be open coming July. What options do I have if it doesn't close?
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: 13 days post-fistulotomy and fissure repair

Postby owmybum » 02 Jan 2013, 02:55

Jen,
I can't offer any advice I'm afraid as I have not had fissure surgery... But I did want to say, by all accounts, and all that you have had done... It takes a fair bit of time to turn the corner. The itching may be a sign of it healing?
Try not to worry about your cruise.. July is a long way off yet.
Hopefully your crs will have a good look and give you some reassuring news in a couple of days.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jan 2013, 10:17

thefer74, I never had surgery before for my condition (fissure) but I can pretty much tell you that you have a lot of work done at one time, I admire you for taking so much.
I can only imagine your recovery no been an easy one, but hopefully things will get better soon.
I also hope your next appointment will be full of good news on your road to healing.
Any questions you have about your surgery just write them down and take them to your next appointment and do not leave until they are answered in a manner that will bring peace of mind.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby thefer74 » 05 Jan 2013, 15:41

Hi
I am now at 16 days post op. I saw my CRS yesterday. He looked and removed two of the stitches that seemed to be giving me problems. He switch me over to a different pain medication that I can split in half. He also gave me a numbing cream to use before supposorities. He said it looks good and skin is starting to form. I see him in April given there is no more problems.
Today, I had minimal pain and burning.
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 05 Jan 2013, 16:01

great news
keep up the good work
im getting the aching dull pain in the area
saw my crs yesterday said its all looking ok ,healing ok
put my mind at rest ,
heres to great healing
health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby thefer74 » 05 Jan 2013, 21:02

Hi
Well, I think I spoke too soon. I hate it when the peri-colace that I take has a mind of its own. I ended up going to the bathroom 3-4 times and that sent my pain way up. Also, noticed an increase in bleeding.
I agree that going to the CRS does put my mind at ease. I still have some doubts on how this is going to heal when I had a chronic fissure that was open for 4 years and lead to an abscess. He claims it is different, but the pain feels the same.
Does what you eat affect your pain? I am noticing that I can't eat certain foods and I don't know until it's too late. What should I be avoiding?
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 06 Jan 2013, 15:31

thefer74, you can do the elimination diet, meaning that for a few days or a week you eat only certain group of food, let say you start with fruits and vegetables ( to clean your system) only if you do not see a reaction then you add the fats and proteins, see the results then move to carbs and sweets, only takes a few weeks of your time a pencil and paper to write down any reactions and the knowledge of the basic food groups that is how you learn what food groups are giving you trouble, but with a healing surgery procedure I will be a littler bit more carefull before starting any new diets.
Now this only if you have the time and are do not have a condition that forbid you from eating certain goods.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8