2nd surgery update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2nd surgery update

Postby juney » 30 Sep 2007, 12:39

i had my second sphincterotomy on friday. the pain afterwards has been minimal compared to my first one last may, in which they also removed a skin tag. i do not have the open bloody wound that i did last time from the skin tag. my problem now is that i have not had a bowel movement in over 48 hours since surgery. i panicked when i went all day without one yesterday. i've drank tons of water and prune juice, taken stool softeners, eaten very healthy fibrous foods, etc....everything i normally do in my routine to have a BM everyday. i sat on the toilet today and felt a hard mass that wants to come out. i pushed harder than i usually do and a tiny bit of poo came out. i feel like i tore something while pushing...i NEVER push like that because i'm never constipated. i did take 4 percocets for pain the day of surgery.
i'm freaking out now!! is 48 hours too long to go without going, considering i had an enema the day of surgery??? i hope i didn't hurt myself even more by pushing today...
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Re: 2nd surgery update

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 13:08

Juney,
Hey I am sure it is ok but maybe Monday call your doctor and express your concerns. Maybe you can do another enema. I know how you feel my CRS told me not to get constipated. Just try to relax and don't force anything. Try sitting in a warm beth tub or even try drinking some warm liquids. (tea, coffee (decaf). I will be hoping the best for you. Hey when you forced a little poo out did you see blood?? Just wondering. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Take Care
Patty

Postby juney » 30 Sep 2007, 14:11

yes there was blood. i just had a sphincterotomy 2 days ago, so i think an enema would be one of the most horrible things i could do to myself right now. have you ever had the surgery? i think i remember you having botox...right? i think recovery might be different for the 2.
i've been sitting in a warm tub 4 times a day, since yesterday and holding a heating pack against my butt all day today when i'm not in the bath. i'm hoping i didn't mess anything up by pushing this morning...it's just freaking me out b/c i haven't missed a day of bm in about 6 months. i'm usually very regular. i guess it's possible the surgery thru my body out of whack. i have no idea..
does anyone who's actually had LIS have any advice? i've been thru this once before but was able to have a bm the very next day no problem...
juney
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 16:34

Juney,
Yes I did have Botox and I am still recovering. I have some pain in the morning and some burning. I am not sure about recovering after LIS. I had a bm the day after Botox no problem also. But I am like you and I get nervous if anything gets off schedule. Good Luck. I will pray for you.
Patty

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 17:24

I haven't has this surgery but I have had several others and I was constipated for about 2 days. I felt panicky too when it happened. What really helped me was to take milk of magnesia and I also started taking magnesium supplements.
Four percocets is quite a bit and I can see how that would alter your bms, not to mention the anestesia.
When you feel like you can stand it maybe you can switch to advil prescription strength which is 800 mg.
I am glad you aren't in as much pain as the last surgery and so glad that it is over.
Hang in there!
Lecia

Postby juney » 30 Sep 2007, 19:14

i haven't taken any percocets since the day of surgery, i'm so worried they'll make things worse. i didn't take any pain meds yesterday and i was okay. today i took an 800mg motrin when things hurt from pushing.
i don't have a stomach ache or anything so maybe i'm not even constipated yet, it's just weird for me to not have gone yet...especially now that it's been 60 hours since surgery (and since my last bm from the enema). i've eaten oatmeal and soup each day, along with lots of fruit. i guess it's possible things just aren't ready to come out. i actually don't even know what constipation feels like since i've been sooo careful about being regular everyday with the fissure.
lecia, what exactly is milk of magnesia? is it similar to prune juice? my parents keep saying the prune juice will soften things up and get them moving. what do magnesium supplements do?
juney
King Fissure

Postby juney » 01 Oct 2007, 11:30

so after lecia's advice yesterday i took 3 tablespoons of milk of magnesia. when i woke up this morning, 72 hours after surgery, i was still panicking about not going. i had a bowl of oatmeal and a lot of water. i finally had a bm, but it was really watery and burned a lot. my bum is soo sore right now, probably normal since i just had surgery 3 days ago... i've taken a couple hot baths already and have been holding a heating pad against me when i'm laying down. i've also taken an 800mg motrin. now that i've actually gone to the bathroom i'm SO relieved. i feel like i can get back to my normal bm schedule. i'll keep taking all my vitamins and staying very hydrated. i'm also really cautious with what i'm eating. i'm off work for 2 weeks so i plan to just lay around and drink smoothies :)
something interesting...after surgery i asked the surgeon about using the blowdryer and putting topical aloe vera on the fissure. he said no to both those things. he said just pat the area dry with a clean towel after bathing.
thanks lecia and patty for your advice. it's so easy to worry yourself into a frenzy when dealing with something like this! i'm just hoping this 2nd surgery does the trick
juney
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2007, 12:32

Yea! Isn't is a relief when you finally do go-it is reassurance. Sorry my advice led to a watery stool though.

Postby juney » 01 Oct 2007, 14:18

haha, well i think it was better than not going for another day or 2!
juney
King Fissure

Postby happyass » 01 Oct 2007, 19:45

here's to a good and gracious recovery for you juney.
i don't know how big the wound is or where it is exactly, but yeah, i don't reckon blow drying it would be good at this point.
may you get back on regular schedule and don't sweat not pooping for over 3-4 days...yes, it's hard to not freak out as we all are probably conditioned that the longer the poop takes to come out, the harder and more difficult it will be to eliminate!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74