5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 5 months post-op, blood on the TP

Postby Bumbutt » 01 Feb 2011, 02:44

That sounds like a good attitude. It takes some courage and energy to take this matter into your hands and to keep going back to the doctor when you don't feel well. So, all the more power to you! (can we make a smiley with his fist up in the air?!)
Sending you some positive thoughts! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby cherylk » 01 Feb 2011, 06:22

Steve,
I also was thinking about Fiss--needing a second LIS. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 01 Feb 2011, 16:00

Thanks for the well wishes Image
@cheryl, thanks, I appreciate you telling Dwight!
@dawn, Yeah, I think it's the fissurectomy site playing up, I can understand it really after having all the scar tissue scraped away leaving a raw fissure before closing it with stitches, I may of contributed to this recent set back right after my surgery at home I felt some stitches pop which IMO has hampered the healing process.
@Bumbutt, If complaining to the DR will get my life back on track then so be it, I would urge anyone to do the same, don't let this little cut in your bum stand in your way, it's already robbed enough of our time and happiness!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 01 Feb 2011, 16:01

cheryl, I remember Fissy saying she had two LIS done and it cured her so anything is possible
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2011, 16:49

Steve,
you know I really know nothing except what I read or my CRS has told me so I'm hoping I don't sound like a know it all or anything, but when I asked my CRS if she thought I could possibly need a fissurectomy during my LIS- She said no, that they don't do them at all in the group she's in. She said they were old and make no sense?! They cauterized my fissure. I just wonder why some do and some don't? I just wonder if they had of cauterized your fissure if that would have served the same purpose?
Like I said I have no clue! What do you think?

Postby StevePain » 01 Feb 2011, 17:28

I think you're right dawn, I wish they had of cauterized it, I don't think they do it in the UK though, it would of healed by now using that method, when I get to see my CRS I am going to ask about cauterization since Fissurectomy doesn't seem to have had a good outcome, just my luck lol
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2011, 21:14

Your welcome, Steve :)
I wonder if another LIS would even be necessary? Since you have the leakage and everything , it seems the muscle is loose... If Just the fissurectomy site could be cauterized or something to heal it? Image
I hope you get your appointment soon and get some answers.
Take care. Image

Postby Bumbutt » 02 Feb 2011, 02:35

You're right Steve. You gave me the extra encouragement to call the CRS today - I've got to know when or IF I can get an appointment!
I saw on the news one time that they have people who act as "Patient advocates" - they go deal with the doctors for you. Not a bad idea...
(Laughing now, thinking of getting a "patient advocate"
who carries a baseball bat...) Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 02 Feb 2011, 03:55

Well, I called them! Thanks Steve, for giving me the needed nudge. Amazing... this is the second time I've called them. In December I called in utter misery and got Nurse Ratchet on the other end. This time I gathered all my politeness and control and received another phone number to ring. I called there, and they booked me an appointment - in 3 weeks. If I hadn't called again today, I'd still be in my limbo!!
Now I have a date to set my sights on. Yippee!
Thanks for letting me share.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 05 Feb 2011, 13:29

Update..
I seemed to be doing ok again until yesterday when I pushed a bit too much, I now have a burning pain and dull ache after BM, it feels like inflammation inside, that's what I'm hoping anyway rather than a re-tear. I'm using petroleum jelly around and inside the anus to help with BM's, also applying Rectogesic twice a day and taking Ibuprofen to help with any inflammation, I'm really hoping that I don't have to have surgery down there again after last time but if I do then so be it, I cannot keep living this way.
I guess I'm one of those people that thought LIS would give me back my life quickly, how wrong am I? In all honesty, this whole experience has NOT been a walk in the park and whatever I do seems to have a negative effect, it's not through lack of trying! I've been through so many stool softeners and laxatives/ointments/creams and diets all to no avail, I take one small step forward and two giant leaps back, I feel like I'm destined for a life of pain, sorry if I sound a little discouraging for anyone getting LIS but I like to be truthful, I must fall in the % of patients that LIS doesn't work for and now it looks like I may be heading for LIS #2 (at best) or even a different kind of anal surgery, just the thought of it is scary, although my first surgery was 6 months ago the pain from it is etched in my mind and still to a certain degree I have pain, pain free days are few and far between, in total I've probably had 3-4 weeks of very minimal discomfort followed by the past 3 weeks of moderate-severe pain mainly brought on after BM which can last anything from 8-12 hours or until I go to sleep.
I could have this all wrong and it could be a minor setback, I know from reading other's experiences that healing times can drastically vary from person to person, when I look at it logically then 6 months isn't very long for such traumatic surgery to heal, this could be a much much longer battle than I could have ever anticipated, the constant analysing of food/BM's and regime consumes my whole day, I always worry about what I put in and what it will come out like, always checking for blood and the consistency of my BM, these things will never go away even after the pain has long gone, fissures definitely leave a mental scar as well as a physical one.
StevePain
King Fissure

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?