50% ???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

50% ???

Postby juney » 10 Aug 2007, 14:18

i just wanted to see what everyone thought about this....
i just saw my gynecologist for a regular exam today. when i told her about my unsuccessful fissure surgery she didn't seem at all surprised. she told me she has seen many women with fissures who did not heal from surgery. she even speculated that the actual number was closer to 50%, rather than the 95% surgeons tend to tell us. this surprised (and seriously depressed) me, as I am 4 months out from my 1st surgery and now in the process of scheduling a second LIS surgery. she said it is mainly up to your body to contribute to the healing, and that some people's bodies don't respond well in the healing process and they just have to live with the fissure. i am HORRIBLY upset by this and kind of at the end of the line as far as having any hope that this will ever get better.
i've described it before, but i'm not having the same type of spasms that everyone describes, it is just a general pain all the time as well as a raw feeling often, and a sharp pain in my anus upon standing. i can even see the end of the fissure if i examine myself closely. i don't understand how surgery will help my fissure since the spasms aren't even there. plus, how can it EVER heal w/ using the bathroom everyday and irritating the wound.... the whole thing is very confusing (and very painful). you'd think i'd understand after this long, but since i'm not seeing much progress, i don't get it.
i see my surgeon next week again, but i am very hopeless right now as usual....
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Re: 50% ???

Postby happyass » 10 Aug 2007, 20:26

juney,
maybe instead of getting a second LIS, go for the botox route.
do something different.
or if you get the second LIS and it doesn't work as you would have liked, perhaps trying botox after that wouldn't be such a bad idea.
i have learned that doctors are not 100% correct and that it is up to you and your mind and God and whatever else that you believe in to work for you and not against you.
trust me, i didn't like living with a fissure and who knows what else for almost four years but here i am....i waited and went through stuff and now it's taken care of.
one of the most important things on this journey is not to lose hope. and if you haven't tried converting to a 100% macrobiotic diet at least once to see what effects it may have for you, then it shows you you haven't really tried everything under the sun yet!
(i really want to show you that no matter what your docs have said, there is always hope to have juney!)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

have you been screened for crohn's

Postby erik » 10 Aug 2007, 22:16

Juney,
sometimes a chronic fissure that fails to heal can be crohn's related. does your stomach hurt or do you have diarrhea alot?
I am 90% healed 6 months out. bled twice in the last month and 1/2. i also have a simiar burning pain sometimes, just burns....and then i worry and then my stomach hurts....and then i worry more.
so i have said f*#k it, it will heal if I just stop worrying so much and my body has seemed to get better.
we have been on a similar path and its nice to know that others are there for you and that your not alone.
you are not alone. it will get better!
erik
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2007, 08:07

Juney,
The most important thing is to not lose hope. Doctors tend to throw out numbers but what they sometimes fail to understand is that you're not just a number, you're a human being. And every human being is different and special. Have faith and keep trying different approaches, different options. Since I found this forum I've been trying every suggestion for healing that seems logical.
Happpy ass, I've even starting researching macrobiotics.

Postby juney » 11 Aug 2007, 17:23

thank you so much everyone! i can't even express how awesome it is to have this forum to turn to when i'm feeling so down. the support and advice is amazing. i'm going to take everything to heart and keep my options open and my attitude positive for healing this! it really helps to know others are going through the same thing and can understand.
erik, i don't believe i have anything else related to this. i very rarely have diarrhea and my stomach doesn't get upset very often - especially since i've been eating so healthy. i think it's just a stubborn fissure, kinda like what you've been dealing with since your surgery.
and gareth, i've looked at your macrobiotics link. i would love to follow something that good for my body, but i'm too lazy to do the cooking required! i have changed my diet drastically in the past few months. i'm cutting out most dairy, although i still eat yogurt. i also stopped eating meat, although i can't resist chicken every once in awhile. i only snack on fruits and veggies, and i wouldn't go near a fast food restaurant! even if my fissure isn't responding yet, my body is very happy with the new diet.
i think the more i worry about it, the more i notice it. on the wekeends when i'm busy and having fun with friends and not sitting all day, i almost feel normal again. that really helps! thanks again for the encouragement and support! you guys are awesome!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Aug 2007, 20:14

One thing I have learned since being on this board (and from a few other sources) is that there is probably no physical zone in your body that can soak up your mental stress and become a problem, than your anus!!! There more you stress, it seems, the harder healing becomes.
I think it's quite interesting the pain diminishes so much when you're relaxed and having fun with friends...
You pain does indeed seem "different." I wonder if another LIS would actually help (but I'm not medical professional).
Erik is right, try to stop stressing. And take what Gareth advises to heart, there are other possibilities you may not have exhausted yet. Finally, Bum Issues is so right! You are not a number, your predicament can't be reduced to a percentage. Believe in yourself and the healing powers of your body. You will heal....
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2007, 07:45

"i've described it before, but i'm not having the same type of spasms that everyone describes, it is just a general pain all the time as well as a raw feeling often, and a sharp pain in my anus upon standing. i can even see the end of the fissure if i examine myself closely. "
Once my fissue was healing I felt a soreness in the tailbone area and later pain when I moved my legs or bent over, this turned out to be a abscess (12 oclock) in a spot different from my fissure (8 oclock). My fissue pain was very "sharp" several hours after a BM - I only had muscle spasms for a week or so right after my BM - the rest of the time it was a shooting/stabbing nerve pain well after a BM. The only time I was in constant soreness was with the abscess - but the pain was much different from the shooting pain of the fissure.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?