7 weeks post-op (LIS)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 7 weeks post-op (LIS)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 Jul 2011, 09:20

Hey Noddzy! I'm sorry you are struggling with your incision wound. I'll describe my experience and hope it helps you determine what doing on with your own situation. Beware, though, TMI alert!
My LIS incision healed WAY too quickly. The skin closed before the deeper wound was healed, and this caused an abscess and a fistula. I couldn't even see or feel my incision wound about a week post-LIS it healed so fast. About 3.5 weeks post-LIS, the area started to feel swollen and itchy-burny, and there was a pinching sensation. A few days later I passed pus from inside the anus and a few days after that, a small blister-like thing formed on the anal verge, outside, but very close to the butt opening - that was the outside opening of the fistula. It popped out some dark brown pus and after that I could squeeze out fairly large amounts of white pus.
My surgeon told me that the LIS incision had healed from the outside and trapped a pocket of pus (during the fistulotomy, the doc saw that the pocket was about the size of a nickle). My fistula was very small and very low. It was definitely a complication of the LIS. So basically I had to have the incision site deroofed and widened, and I have to keep the new wound open as much as possible so that it will heal from the inside out. The fistulotomy was not a bad surgery at all - in fact it was rather a breeze! The recovery wasn't much fun, but it wasn't any worse than the LIS recovery. I'd even say it was actually a bit easier (so far!).
So basically the symptoms I would watch for are: a swollen feeling, pinching sensations, and itching (not the nice kind of itching, but more of a burning kind of itching), and definitely any kind of pus.
I hope this information helps!
Deleted User 579

Postby noddzy » 18 Jul 2011, 17:48

Hmm..Hope, I do have some similar symptoms..specially the burny feeling..but I am not sure I have experienced any pus ( though I have to say I am not really investigating the area too much). I have some stinging sort of pain still (much lower intensity ) when I am having a BM. I guess I will wait for the visit to my doctor this week to see what he sees down there...
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby RedCharger » 18 Jul 2011, 19:29

I am 11 days post LIS and no longer can feel the incision site. Feels heeled to me. I had pain from incision site during BM and while trying to clean up upto about day 6 or 7. After that I seem to be fine. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Jul 2011, 08:46

Hey Noddzy - I hope I didn't make you worried. Really the most significant symptom was the swollen feeling. I could tell there was something going on. It's a good idea to get your doc to check things. I didn't develop the abscess/fistula until almost a month post-LIS, so it's worth keeping an eye on things for a good while after the surgery.
Good luck with the doc!
Deleted User 579

Postby noddzy » 19 Jul 2011, 17:29

Thanks @Hope...did you feel the inflammation inside or was it outside ? I do have some discharge infrequently...but very hard to figure out if there is any pus or just natural mucus produced within the body..I am guessing that the pus would be thicker in texture and whitish ? Yeah, it's a bit unsettling..but I am trying to not think too much before a verdict by my doc...
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Jul 2011, 19:07

It is difficult to distinguish between mucus and pus. When I passed pus, though, it was very obvious. The pus was
thick and white, and not as sticky as mucus - it was more liquidy. I agree that you shouldn't worry right now (I know that's easier said than done!). Your doc will be able to tell you what's going on. Try to stay positive. It's very likely just part of the healing process. Whatever happens, you wil heal and feel better!
Deleted User 579

Postby seattlesounders » 19 Jul 2011, 23:51

If it helps I'm coming up to 5 weeks post opp and my discharge is yellow but sometimes tinged with green. Doc seems to think this is not an infection.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby noddzy » 21 Jul 2011, 12:07

So the doc says this is not a fistula -- because the wound is taking forever to heal (fistula will happen if the wound has healed outside but not inside). Wants to do another examination of the area (but he is out for 2 weeks) and wants to make sure that this is not because of Crohn's disease ( more things to be anxious about Image). Also gave me some antibiotics to make sure there there is no infection there.
. I have faith in my doctor,and he seems to be quite experienced-- but thinking whether it is a good idea to get a second opinion on this.
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Jul 2011, 14:02

It's good news that you don't have a fistula :D - but I definitely understand why you would be anxious about Crohn's. It's good that you doc is investigating, even just to rule it out. I guess a second opinion wouldn't hurt, but if you trust your doc, it might not be urgent to get one. Personally, I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If a second opinion will give you more peace of mind, then I say go for it.

I really hope this gets fixed for you very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby noddzy » 21 Jul 2011, 14:18

Thanks for the support Hope :) So, if I go to a second doctor, my current doc will know about this right ? Does this not create a trust issue ? I am currently in the US, but being an immigrant here, am not too familiar with the protocols followed for getting a second opinion. I am thinking that before one gets a second opinion, one should inform the primary doctor...
noddzy
Fibre Addict