about to book my surgery

doctor gave me 2 options, conservative route or surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

about to book my surgery

Postby ManiacalLavender » 12 Jul 2023, 11:07

Hi all, :energetic:
just came from the doctor's office.
We talked about possible treatment methods and basically he gave me 2 options, conservative (creams and waiting around for it to heal) and surgery which might not be successful and will land me exactly where I am now.
I'm willing to go through with the surgery and will let him know by tomorrow. I don't know the name of the surgery but he described what he'll be doing to me.
It's already been 2 months months since the severe tear formed, I'm in pain daily and want it to stop asap before university starts because I won't have the luxury of a shower or bath whenever I need it
ManiacalLavender
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: about to book my surgery

Postby Rich44 » 13 Jul 2023, 16:40

I suffered for over 6 years. To me you have to give treating it first a chance (and by that I mean 2-3 solid months of treating it). If your surgery isn't done perfectly you will be wearing diapers for the rest of your life.

You don't need to take a bath every day for this. Buy a hard plastic sitz bath that sits on any toilet and it couldn't be easier. 15-20 minutes at a time. You can literally do it or more times a day. I only wish I had considered this when my fissure first started. I probably could have ended it then and there.

I repeat - do not take the easy way out for the convenience of going to school. If you become incontinent then how will you feel?
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hazey123 » 14 Jul 2023, 01:04

Sadly patience is required with this issue and 2 months having a fissure is not very long. If you care for it properly keeping BM soft applying cream and washing it carefully you may well heal naturally. Your fissure is in early stages and you are young!! The surgery of whatever type (not quite sure what you are being recommended) will have a painful (and possible long) recovery and unlikely to be a quick fix anyway. I’m so sorry you have this for going away to university. That is really tough I so hope you resolve it before going! I guess I would recommend caution before any type of surgery…
AF following skin tag surgery Feb 2022
GTN ointment
sigmoidoscopy & EUA Sept 2022 no fissure found
2nd opinion Jan 2023 fissure diagnosed, diltiazem - allergic
recommended Botox Fissurectomy
3rd opinion - dilation 2x per day plus GTN ….
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby ManiacalLavender » 14 Jul 2023, 07:00

the surgeon recommended the surgery because it's not healing fast enough. the procedure he described is as follows, I will be going under general anesthesia, he will insert a tube to stretch the sphincter and scrape at the fissure to refresh the wound and give it a higher chance of healing quicker.
I understand the concern but I'm not sure how this will cause incontinence or a long time to heal. he described the healing time and process as being similar to my haemorrhoidectomy, I have the patience and will to endure that sort of pain again
ManiacalLavender
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Rich44 » 16 Jul 2023, 19:45

ManiacalLavender wrote:the surgeon recommended the surgery because it's not healing fast enough. the procedure he described is as follows, I will be going under general anesthesia, he will insert a tube to stretch the sphincter and scrape at the fissure to refresh the wound and give it a higher chance of healing quicker.
I understand the concern but I'm not sure how this will cause incontinence or a long time to heal. he described the healing time and process as being similar to my haemorrhoidectomy, I have the patience and will to endure that sort of pain again
The procedure you describe won't cause incontinence. You posted your question in the LIS Forum which is the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy Forum so we figured it was an LIS. You probably can try this procedure you are considering; I don't see how it will be a problem.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist