Advice re Rectogesic post-LIS please

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Advice re Rectogesic post-LIS please

Postby Tori-tore » 24 May 2012, 02:10

Has anyone had problems post LIS and been advised to use Rectogesic?
I'm 6 weeks post LIS and was feeling ok until about 5 weeks - til then I only had discomfort from the incision. Then following an episode of stress I had a very nervous BM and got a bit stuck halfway...this resulted in a return of the fissure pain, but nowhere near as bad as it was previously. Nonetheless I'm a bit disconcerted since the surgeon seemed to imply I'd be good as new shortly after the surgery. My surgeon is on holiday for a month so I went to my GP regarding the setback, who said that LIS hardly ever fails.
Things haven't improved in the past week - fissure pain with BM but it feels a lot more superficial than it did, and a bit of general discomfort during the day - aches, stabbing pains on occasion and a bit of a raw irritated feeling. I went back to the GP and got him to call the local hospital for a second opinion from a surgeon. The consensus seems to be that the LIS could have been too conservative and that I should try Rectogesic.
I haven't used Rectogesic before - when I first got the fissure I was prescribed hydrocortisone because I am breastfeeding and the midwife and GP said that I couldn't take the GTN while feeding. I'm still breastfeeding but the GP has told me that actually at this point with everything that I've been through that I should be fine to feed my baby while on the GTN.
So I seem to be getting a fair bit of conflicting information and I'd appreciate it if anyone could share their experience or point me to their thread if it's along these lines.
Tori-tore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2