AF Survival Kit - Carry it everywhere I go

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AF Survival Kit - Carry it everywhere I go

Postby PaulB » 15 Jul 2016, 09:39

I have had a chronic anal fissure since at least March that went misdiagnosed by me as hemarhoids. Since getting the correct diagnosis from my local colo-rectal surgeon, I am carrying an A-F survival kit with me 24-7 just to be sure I can continue.

AF to me has been debilitating. It hurts so much (untreated) that it could take me right out of the game, send me home from work, cause me to cancel meetings etc.

It was important to me that I get to the bottom line of what I could do to be sure I could manage a BM in addition to all of the other lifestyle changes.

To put my kit together, I took a small sandwich bag with a zip lock and added 10 unscented wipes (the witchhazel has 20 alcohol which irritates my AF, so I have mothballed all of my witchhazel wipes), 20 or so finger cots, my nifedipine gel, a tube of CVS anti-itch medicine (generic gold bond with praximine and menthol) and two tubes of oraljel with 20 percent benzocaine.

The kit has been changed several times since the original which contained witchhazel wipes and a lidocaine cream that didn't work. I actually stopped carrying the original lineup because it seemed to make the AF worse. Since the new line up, I am confident. I can pretty much stop the pain instantaneously with either the praxamine/menthol prep or the benzocaine. I will swap out the orajel for Nupracainal (Dibucaine 1%) or Americaine (20 percent benzocaine when it arrives) as the orajel is designed for tooth aches and is a paste that isn't that misceable.

The big caveat is that the kit will only work for me if I stay on program for losing weight (to mitigate AF), exercise, and diet (primarily whole food plant based with a little fish). Also, colase stool softner, miralax but no stimulative laxatives or magnesium citrate.

The kit is one tool in part of a bigger picture for my AF care. I will be doing a 10 day therapeutic water fast in mid August to enhance healing before my next appointment with my doctor/surgeon. I have water fasted for 21 days before so 10 days is no biggie.

I think I can beat this without surgery. Time will tell.

Paul
PaulB

Topics: 2

Re: AF Survival Kit - Carry it everywhere I go

Postby PaulB » 15 Jul 2016, 10:19

I try to switch up my pain reliever every couple of days to avoid developing a tolerance, i.e. the body making the medicine less effective. So for the kit, I will use the Gold Bond (praxamine/menthol) for two or three days, then switch for 2 days to the benzocaine. I think water fasting will help also as there is no medicine during the water fast. And I can endure a little pain during the water fast just using baths and nonscented wipes. The stools usually stop for me after two days.
PaulB

Topics: 2

Re: AF Survival Kit - Carry it everywhere I go

Postby VVV » 15 Jul 2016, 21:07

the only thing which helps me is to clean rectum inside after BM in the morning using a shower hose... no pain at all.
maybe this works only for chronic AF...
VVV
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6