Analabscess

overgranulation?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Analabscess

Postby James » 18 Dec 2021, 15:00

I had analabscess drained 3 weeks ago and was told that i will need fistula operation 2 months later. The wound was healing ok untill I noticed today some red flesh sticking out and don't know whether this is normal or overgranulation. Otherwise serum and discharge is reducing. I would be very grateful if anyone could share some ideas. Thanks alot .
James
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Analabscess

Postby PNW » 30 Dec 2021, 04:52

James, when my fistula developed after the abscess, the exit hole was a skin tag/little flap that might have been 1 cm long. It would bleed if TP contacted it. Kind of irritating too
PNW
Fibre Addict

Postby James » 30 Dec 2021, 05:51

Thanks PNW for the info. How long did the abscess wound take to heal and what procedure did you have for the fistula. My abscess wound is still oozing on week 5 and in the morning seems swollen and in the evening is better after it drains.
Thanks
James
Fibre Addict

Postby PNW » 30 Dec 2021, 12:16

James, my abscess was misdiagnosed as a hemorrhoid by two doctors and drained itself. Started feeling it develop on Oct 25, and the drainage started on Nov 6, and it drained for several weeks. Urgent care doc prescribed two antibiotics on Nov 17 that stopped the drainage for a couple weeks, then it returned. It was draining nasty smelling discharge until yesterday. I got a simple fistulotomy, it took about 20 minutes in the OR. I'm in no pain now, it's been almost 24 hours, but no BM yet.

Good luck James.
PNW
Fibre Addict

Postby James » 30 Dec 2021, 13:22

Thanks for the reply PNW, I was also given Fluxcacillin AB initially but when I saw it become bigger and more painful I went to a diiferent hospital that agreed to drain it. I am now thinking wether to have the fistulotomy before the wound heals or wait at least 8 weeks post abscess drainage.

I am sure you are taking Miralax to soften the stool for the wound healing period. I also thought I had hemorhoids and was eating fiber and plenty of water which was big mistake as fiber makes stool bigger. Now I am on low fiber diet and Miralax twice-thrice a day.

I wish you speedy recovery.
James
Fibre Addict

Postby PNW » 30 Dec 2021, 20:00

Best to you too James. I'm taking Colase stool softener and have been for a couple of weeks.. No need for the prescribed narcotics yet, they really back me up. I cleaned out pretty good before surgery so it might be tomorrow. I was dreading surgery, but so far it has been fine, no pain yet. I am getting wound drainage.

PNW
Fibre Addict

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?