Annoyed!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Annoyed!

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 19:41

I hate HMOs. I called the doctor's nurse today and told her that I was in excrutiating pain and that my surgery was not until May 17th. I asked her to leave a message with the doctor asking him to prescribe something for the spasms. She said that she would give him the message. Well, the doctor has been in surgery all day and I'm assuming he didn't check the message because I did not get a call from him. Ugh! Image
My only other choice is going to the emergency room, but I really don't want to have to do that.
This sucks. I should be out having fun and enjoying my life. Instead, I am stuck at home in pain crying. Plus, my family and I are having 35 guests tonight and I guess I'm going to have to put on that pretend smile and just get through it.

Re: Annoyed!

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007, 20:16

I know if feels awful right now but this pain will not last forever (though it feels like it). That totally sucks that the doctor didn't call you back, I agree. There is not enough sympathy for this type of pain and suffering. I think it should be required for colo-rectal doctors to have experienced some kind of butt ailment!
You would think that because they see this stuff all the time they would be more sensitive to the pain it causes and try to be more proactive about treating the pain while you are waiting for surgery.
Can you take 4 ibuprofen and get in the tub? If you don't feel up to seeing these people tonight I think you should lay low in your room. Your parents will understand. Its not easy to ignore this type of pain. I will pray that you get through tonight and feel better soon. If it gets bad enough maybe you should go to the ER. My friend had to take her husband into the ER for this once before his surgery, he was in such agony. Maybe they could at least give you a muscle relaxant.
I'm sorry sweetie! I'll be thinking about you!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Apr 2007, 07:13

Yes, it is a real problem with CRSs and other Dr.s NOT taking our pain seriously! But you know, to look at the flip side of the coin, what would really work with the spasms? There's nothing I know of that will truly stop them!
I hope you take Lecia's advice and try the ibuprofren; let us know if it gives you any relief. Good luck tonight with your party!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2007, 10:10

Yeah go to an ER or try an Urgent Care if you have one. I had to do that-the only thing was by doing this I ended up getting the full exam-which was pretty painful-but hopefully you will get someone with some experience!

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 01:56

The advil has been helping a bit, which is good.
I'm not in excruitating pain right now. I still have some, but it's a bit better than before.
Strangely enough I got home from going out to dinner tonight and my CRS had left a message for me telling me he got my message and to call him Monday.
He had prescribed the Dilitazem 2% gel about two months ago, and I used it for about a month before I got another recurrence in which he told me to stop using it. However, it did help w/ the spasms a bit so I am thinking about asking him to prescribe that for me again instead of taking something orally. What do you guys think? Should I ask for the dilitiazem or something else?
Thank you so much for all your support and kind words. =)

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 06:35

Hi,
I am glad your CRS got back to you. And I am not sure what there is to take orally for the treatment. Sometimes valium is prescribed in low doses so maybe that can help until you get the surgery. I don't know why he wouldn't just let you take the diltiazem until your surgery if it offered some relief. I would ask about that again. Maybe he can prescribed ultram (a non-narcotic pain reliever) to help manage the pain. I like the ultram er (extended release) and have had good luck with that when dealing with a painful day that I had to be out and about.
I think taking the advil before you go to the bathroom and then getting in the tub would help and if he will give you some more diltiazem to put that on after. As far as I know that shouldn't pose any problems using that prior to surgery.
Just take it easy today and keep in touch and let us know what he says on Monday!
Lecia

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?