Anyone had an advancement flap surgical procedure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Anyone had an advancement flap surgical procedure?

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 14:54

Thought i'd post a progress report. I went to see my CRS this week and he said things are going well. The flap has now healed fully and my fissure has gone. All the stitches are now out and I have no more pain, just occasional discomfort. I had a small point that hadn't healed properly, granulation of the skin, which was 'burnt' off. Wow that hurt!! That was all on Tuesday, its now healing really well. I'm sure I'm not fully out of the woods yet and I'm being very careful still....lots of care with diet, movicol, warm bath and using my manuka honey. However so far so good. :)

Postby Bumbutt » 22 Jan 2011, 05:02

Wow, good for you! Nice to hear a healing report.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2011, 11:43

Oh well, a month on and yes you guessed it one hard BM and its bleeding again Image . Guess I spoke too soon. Its my own fault though I missed a Movicol and this is my punishment.
Lesson is: 'Do not neglect your bum, its revenge is greater than you imagine'!!!
I have to say the month of near normality was wonderful.

Postby Guest » 23 Feb 2011, 20:42

Sorry to hear this Split. I hope things get back to normal for you soon!
Don't blame yourself, just jump back on the recovery routine and let us know how things are going. Hopefully this is just a small setback/ warning and things will move quickly in the right direction for you:)

Postby Bumbutt » 24 Feb 2011, 01:16

Dang! Just one missed movicol?? Thanks for reminding us all. I hope you will not be "paying your dues" for long... I mean, what happens when you have had the surgery you have had? The fissure is covered in the procedure you had, right? Ouch, I cringe to think about it....
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2011, 12:56

Thanks. Yes the punishment is a little extreme for the 'crime'! The biggest issue now is muscle spasm, it hasn't stopped. I know this can cause problems with AF so if anyone has a handy tip to calm things down please say. As you say Bumbutt after this surgery what can be done next so I have to recover this. I'm in recovery overdrive mode.
For the curious:
Yes this surgery involves cutting the edges of the fissure away, then from the fissure an incision is made along the backside until a point is reached where a 'chunk' (sorry only way to describe it) of flesh can be cut out but not detached. Then this partially attached flesh is 'moved' down to the fissure where its sewn in place. The idea being that the flesh that is attached is still 'living' and therefore heals quicker. The incision and the hole created where the flesh originated is then also sewn up. All in all about a 3 inch wound. It sounds awful and takes some careful recovery but its worth it to be rid of an AF.

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2011, 22:18

Hey Split, I'm not trying to promote drug use or anything but if you could temporarily take some valium. It settled down my spasms quickly after LIS. Many CRS's will give them to you to use short term.
Fissy and I both used it after our surgery and it did work!

Postby Bumbutt » 25 Feb 2011, 02:07

Yes, muscle spasms are the worst! Are you using any ointment? Have you tried a heating pad? That was my beloved saving grace when I had bad spasms. Sat on it all day long.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 25 Feb 2011, 07:33

So, did the surgeon not do an LIS? Just curious...it seems like if they didn't, then you still would have trouble with a tight sphincter and that could cause problems all on its own....I second the ointment and or/valium!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 25 Feb 2011, 10:42

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed my CRS so am waiting for his reply, and hopefully an appointment. In the meantime I'm using an ointment that relaxes the sphincter. I agree with you Alpine, maybe I should have had LIS. Up until now the Botox will have relaxed the muscles. I'm hoping that this is 'normal' and that it wont cause any long term problems but it does feel like a backward step of about 2 months at the moment.
Oh well it the weekend now so at least I can rest at home for a couple of days. I might have to substitute a large glass of whiskey for the valium!! Image Or not :(