Anyone here experience incontinence after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anyone here experience incontinence after LIS?

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2007, 13:58

This really scares it out of me!
I googled and came upon a website that said the procedure is complicated by varying degrees of incontinence in up to 35% of patients, more frequently women. That percentage sounds high to me. I will try to find the website again and post the link. I just saved the article and it doesn't show the website.
Thanks,
Jennie

Re: Anyone here experience incontinence after LIS?

Postby Cinderella » 13 Aug 2007, 14:31

I do not have personal experience of LIS. But my doctor told me that it is a very small risk to have any kind of incontinence after the LIS but it is a big risk to get problems at later ages. She said that the incontinence problem is usually taken a place several years after the surgery is done. Your spinchter muscle will get looser when you are aging and then you might start to suffer of incontinence .
However an other doctor said that he has never heard that anyone has become incontinent (regarding bowels). He said that the only side effect might be that you are not able to hold gas if you are lifting something very heavy.
I have also been told that incontinence is more often women's problem therefore that men have a longer spinchter muscle than women.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby juney » 13 Aug 2007, 15:39

i am only 25 and my doctor practically laughed at the idea of becoming incontinent as a result of the surgery. He said for someone my age the risk is almost 0. That was quite reassuring, and I have had absolutely no problems since my LIS (granted, I do have to go back for a 2nd surgery since my fissure has not healed.) But I think you only need to be concerned about incontinence if you are older, have had several babies through natural birth, etc. anything that might make you more prone to incontinence anyway. It is also very important to make sure your surgeon has done the procedure before, that way he knows not to cut too deep!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Aug 2007, 16:16

Actually, I can't recall anyone having real, long-term incontinence who's posted on this board. A few of us, myself included, had single instances of it soon after surgery, but that was it.
But, with over 80 members who have come and gone, I may have missed someone...but I doubt it.
Maybe your doctor's laugh was a good testimonial!
Deleted User 5

Postby dano » 13 Aug 2007, 21:26

i havent been here real long myself,but i havent read or heard of any problems either.my dr said to me MAYBE when your like 70 couple,you may be more subseptible[i know thats spelled wrong,i suck at spelling] at that age,but at that age you leak stuff anyway! huh....
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby happyass » 14 Aug 2007, 08:47

shoot, i would give anything for a looser involuntary sphincter!
hehehehehehehe......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby small_flower » 27 Aug 2007, 15:03

I had my surgery back in february and I had the same concerns, but so far I have not had any huge problems. My doctor also told me that the problem is so rare, particularly in someone my age (i'm a youngin...23). I agree with the general consensus that, as you get older, having this kind of surgery would be more likely to cause that problem, but for those of us who are relatively young and healthy, I am quite sure that there is nothing to worry about. Way back, when I first joined this board, someone posted some research on what seems to cause the incontinence. His findings were that obesity seemed to play a role in having that problem. I will try to go back and find it for you. I know at a time like this, any information is probably comforting.
Good luck
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2007, 18:32

None yet but im still constipated