Beans what kind???

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Beans what kind???

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 06:18

Hello,
I hear people talking about beans? What kind are you talkling about and is brown rice ok to eat with the beans? Just wondering because I am changing my whole diet here. I have my all Bran Buds cereal, peaches and all kind of veggies I steamed. (Thanks Lecia and Kim). I am not the best cook so I am gonna have to learn to stay healthy. Oh yah since this AF has arrived I have lost 8lbs this past month.
BBG
Patty

Re: Beans what kind???

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 06:31

I think any bean would be okay so you can find one that you like! I would check out Gareth's (happyass) link to macrobiotic eating. It has some great suggestions for specific foods and recipes.
I like lima beans, myself, but that may just be the Southern girl in me!

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 07:19

Lecia,
Thanks I will look that up. It's 9:20am so far so good minimal pain. Graduation is at 1:00 keep your fingers crossed....
BBG
Patty

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 08:06

Hope it goes well. Did you already go to the bathroom today?

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 09:03

yes 2x very soft and lttle each time. So far so good...

Postby SunshineHope » 16 Jun 2007, 13:31

Aaw I hope you were able to go to the graduation! For beans, sometimes when I don't feel like cooking I just buy a can of baked beans, heat em up and eat them. Or I make bean salad, mixing lima beans with kidney beans and basically any other beans I can find. You can usually find cans of mixed beans and can just add tomatoes (if they don't bug you during BM's) and some other veggies, add seasoning/whatever dressing you like (I'm obbsessed with italian dressing and have it with everything so I use it here too), and it ends up tasting pretty darn yummy! Some people also use lemon juice for seasoning, you can try anything you want. Some people also add olive oil or flax seed oil which can probably help you have smooth BMs too.
Beans have helped me quite a bit in increasing my fibre. There's so many different types of bean salads you can make, there's probably some good recipes on the net. I love making bean burritos too (yeah I'm still a kid so I need some of that "junk" type of food)... I don't add cheese/salsa as I used to, but you can even add some fresh veggies or whatever else. Sometimes you can also buy canned/boxed soups that are really high in fibre & have some type of bean base (e.g. black bean soup - it was so yummy). I live in Canada so the stores here are a bit different, but I'm sure you guys could find stuff like that too :)
Happy healing Patty, I feel for you! Image I'm happy you have the support of other people on this forum, theyre really helpful.
~sunshine Image
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby SunshineHope » 16 Jun 2007, 13:33

p.s. Lecia, don't you think we should have a thread sharing all of our pro-fissure recipes? I know when I first got my fissure, with time, I felt like I couldn't eat ANYTHING good! Now with time I'm learning what I actually can have.
(I used to bake all the time, and stopped because there was always too much milk and butter used... Now I've found so many raisin bran and all bran recipes, that I've started making high fibre muffins and cakes too!) lol
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2007, 14:48

Sunshine,
Thanks for the support. Well I did make graduation (Lecia!! I made it) just in time my dad and mom saved me a seat. It was small only 24 kids and I got to see my friend Colleen. It was very hot but I was glad to be there. I have been ok (no pain) since 11:00 so I am doing all the laundry now so I am caught up.
I did not know baked beans were ok. I love lima beans too. You see I am new to this stuff. I am not use to eating such small meals and different foods. I use to eat Pizza, subs, baked goods, all that junk. Now I won't touch it. So I will have to search the stores for some beans!!
I also used to bake alot too. I have made homemade cakes ,brownies and some italian cookies. I even have my own chocalate chip receipe. I miss those. But someday I will make them and have just one, that won't be for awhile.
Thanks again Sunshine, Lecia and everyone else on this forum for being so wonderful and supportive. Keep your fingers crossed the rest of the night goes well for all of us!!
BBG
Patty

Postby happyass » 19 Jun 2007, 17:56

hey patty,
for desserts, i recommend the book 'love, eric' which is vegan macrobiotic desserts. it's a great book and is divided into chapters by season and desserts recommended for each season plus there is an all-season chapter as well.
i loved the peach cobbler recipe in there and there is one for sable cookies that i tend to think are more on the biscotti side of things. other than that, i also loved the steamed apples with cinammon. yummy!
there are so many more wonderful recipes in there that you could simply just go ga-ga over. all natural and no refined sugars of any kind or dairy.
the only place i could find the book was at barnes & noble .com - their web site; the stores never seem to have them and amazon.com had an indefinite wait.
beans are wonderful. any kind of beans.
and so is brown rice. the best.
i would recommend both and if you can get a hearty brown rice with beans medley at the store, then you are all set.
i also love lentils.
explore polenta, quinoa, and couscous as well. mmmm, couscous with raisins is yummy.
another new veggie i just love is beets! and rutabaga!
congrats on the graduation! and that you are feeling better!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 19 Jun 2007, 18:04

Hey, we need to have a AFSF Potluck. Can we meet at your place, Gareth?