blood?!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

blood?!

Postby juney » 01 Aug 2007, 09:15

so i'm 11 weeks out fromy my LIS surgery and in the past few days i've noticed a little blood on the toilet paper. it's also hurt more than usual lately during a BM, like the feeling of passing glass at the very beginning of the movement. i know some people have said a little blood during healing was normal, but i don't think i'm healing at all... sure the pain has lessened in severity since the surgery, but that alone has taken 11 weeks. and the pain is not gone, just not excruciating anymore. i still have that aching/sore feeling when i stand up after sitting for awhile. the area down there is just generally sore all the time. plus, i can tell a skin tag is growing again in the area where the surgeon removed one during surgery.

i have an appt with my surgeon for aug 24, but that seems so far away. at that appt i will probably ask for a 2nd surgery - by someone else if possible. at this point, i do not know what my body's problem is, why it hasn't healed this thing yet. i don't know what my other options are, aside from the 2nd surgery. i mean, usually surgery's a last resort, and it hasn't worked for me :( i'm 24 years old and this has taken over my life.
has anyone else had 2 LIS surgeries???? and yes, i'm doing everything "right" as far as healing goes. i know the drill. is anyone else so far out from surgery and still dealing w/ similar problems to what they had before??
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Re: blood?!

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2007, 10:11

I am sorry things aren't healing as quickly for you. I know after the surgery it can take an additional 6-8 weeks for the fissure itself to heal and I have heard of incidents where a second surgery was warranted. I know my CRS said that occasionally she has to do that because she is very conservative in how much she will cut.
That does seem like a long time to wait to get some direction with this. I am sorry-I know how frustrating it can be.
I know from the others here that some of them get some light bleeding on the tp even months after surgery so that doesn't sound completely out of the ordinary.
Wish you felt better. Hang in there. Your day is coming.
Lecia

Postby happyass » 01 Aug 2007, 18:37

juney,
i hope you find something to soothe you both emotionally and anxiously. i can only imagine that you are very disappointed and possibly feeling a bit down.
there are many people who have needed to get a second and third LIS so it's not unusual at all.
i hope that you don't take that negatively.
all you can do is do what you can and if needed, you need a little help to get you where you need to.
are you taking flax oil, omega 3-6-9 oil, and aloe vera dailly?
if no, then i say try that. and read up on macrobiotics if you haven't already. i am not sure if you have. if we've discussed this already, please forgive me for insisting again.
good luck.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Aug 2007, 19:09

As you continue to have pain, albeit less than before the surgery, it's certainly an indication that something is still amiss, as you've gathered.
Your recovery is just so much more complex than mine was, that I really don't have much I can offer except to say that any bleeding should not cause concern, as long as its bright red and not copious.
The soreness you continue to have can certainly be primarily the skin tag area. Renewed growth is simply an indication of continued pathology in that area, I would think. Not disease, but a deviation in the normal condition of that area... Just my non-medical guess..
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 01 Aug 2007, 23:25

thanks for the replies and the advice everyone. i have been taking flaxseed oil irregularly once a day, along with 2-250mg docusate pills a day. i think i will try to find some aloe vera to drink. does anyone have any recommendations for where to find it in the states? common drug stores like rite aid, longs, etc?? i'll read up on some of the other posts about it also.
i looked really closely today using a mirror and i can actually see the fissure at the opening of my anus. between the small folds of skin where the tag was removed and now seems to be growing back, i can see the actual little "gash" that is the fissure. i don't know how else to describe it. i think the surgery helped it heal deeper where i can't see it, because now when i cough or sneeze i don't feel that sharp horrible pain inside that i used to. maybe the surgery just wasn't good enough to help the whole thing heal. i'll discuss this with my dr...
go figure i'd be the 1-2% of people who don't heal from the LIS surgery. just my luck :( i'm trying to hang in there, i've been doing meditation type breathing and trying to remain positive, but as you all understand it is so DIFFICULT sometimes when this problem is constantly on my mind. sighh.
thanks again for all the advice.
juney
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2007, 07:10

I know it is hard to stay upbeat. It is a constant battle sometimes I know. You are going to beat this thing though.
I order most of my stuff on line because I live in a rinky dink town. I don't know that I have seen the aloe vera juice that you drink at the drugstore. I have seen the gel capsules that I take though. I take one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
I also like magnesium glycinate too to help keep things soft as well as probiotics. Finding the right combo of stuff can take some trial and error.
Let us know what the doctor says and hang in there.

Postby happyass » 02 Aug 2007, 08:12

i drink my aloe vera juice. some are sweetened with natural berries and others you can find straight. of course the sweetened one is the way to go to start because really the natural organic straight is nasty. i had to do that one in denver.
and well, it's cheaper at like $5 per 1 bottle. that should last you about 2 weeks doing 3 times a day like 3 tablespoons.
this morning because i was in a rush, i actually drank it like coke out of the bottle!!!! arrrrgh......and i am sure i had more than 3 tablespoons.
anyway, aside from taste, i do it because i noticed the difference in being regular, no straining, and my skin tag is happy.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 02 Aug 2007, 11:48

hey, juney. very sorry to hear you're still in pain.
i've found aloe very juice (which is like 99.5% aloe juice...and not to be confused with the gel) -- a brand called "lily of the desert" -- at Whole Foods in nyc. i would check grocery stores for it...maybe if they have a healthy section or a vitamins section. or check a health food store if you have one nearby. i haven't checked at pharmacies. i've actually even seen the stuff in corner grocery stores / bodegas in the city.
i know it's difficult to stay positive, but hang in there. you sound like you have a strong mindset...meditation/deep breathing is smart.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby juney » 02 Aug 2007, 12:59

i went to longs drugs today and they said they used to carry it. i'll try whole foods next. i'm sure they'll have it. i was just wondering, what are the supplement regimens each of you have been using to help things heal? i have been regular with one 250mg docusate in the AM and one in the PM for months now, but that's all i've been doing to supplement my water consumption and healthy eating.
I have flaxseed oil and i just bought an omega 3-6-9 supplement. i want to start adding these to my diet regularly, but i don't want to overload my body. for those of you that take these supplements, do you take them all at once or spread them out through the day? what has been working for you?
i should probably post this in the supplement section, but i'll just continue this thread here...
thanks for all advice! i am determined to get rid of this thing for good, and now i know surgery is not a magical cure so i'm going to attack it the next best way i can :)
juney
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2007, 13:13

I take fish oil in the morning and flaxseed oil at night.
I take 1 aloe vera capsule in the am and one at night
I also take magnesium glycinate once a day.
I would start with the Omega 3-6-9 and see what it does for a week and then you could add the other supplements one at a time.