Botox or LIS? your answer can make all the difference

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox or LIS? your answer can make all the difference

Postby wecc » 26 Oct 2011, 05:36

Hello All! I had had an AF for about a year or so. A few times it healed and then I had a bad bm and ripped it again. During that time I never took any meds or soaked. In the last 4 months I have been on channel blockers, soaking 2-3 time and day, magnesium pills and really watch what I eat. While in the last few months I have been in pain that I would say is a 10, it has been on and off. Meaning it would be bad for a few days and then got better where it was like I had no issues.
The first time I saw my CSR, he said he always goes the med route first, the first few months it was touch and go as I said above. I went back to see him about two months later when it was bad and he said while it looks like it is healing somewhat, it most likely will not completely heal because I had it so long and just kept ripping it back open before it heals.
We discussed Botox and LIS. He said with Botox that 60% of his patients get a fissure back within two year. I said I would think about it and get back with him.
So about three weeks ago it was really bad, I said I cannot live like this anymore so I am to have a LIS the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
However the last few weeks, it does seem like it is getting better in that I would say I only feel something after a BM 30% of the time and the pain is 3-4. So my question is should I try the Botox first and see if I am in the 40% success rate? I have been on channel blockers, soaking 2-3 time and day, magnesium pills and really watch what I eat for about 5 months now, could it finally be working ? Perhaps the Botox will work given how things have progressed? Of course it is wishful thinking…but just maybe….
Has any of you had something similar where you went for Botox and it worked for you or did you go the Botox and feel it was a waste of time and ended up having a LIS?
Thank you so much for your help and advice it helps so much!

wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Botox or LIS? your answer can make all the difference

Postby TonyStone » 26 Oct 2011, 06:54

My doc said that he only recommends Botox for women because the muscle isn't as strong for LIS. that being said from reading many posts it seems like every Botox results in LIS anyway.
Could you pm me the type of mag u take, I don't remember the thread.
Thanks
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby wecc » 26 Oct 2011, 07:31

here you go tony
Re: New Guy...LIS 28 hours ago, w/48 & 72 hr updates
by wecc Yesterday at 9:42 pm
.Hi Tony…first there are many different types of Magnesium pills. DO NOT take the cheap stuff. It will just give you the runs. I take Magnesium Glycinate 400 mg by a company called KAL. The Vitamin Shop sells it.
I have to say, I always had hard stools and like everybody here, that is what lead to my tears. I truly feel if I found this before, I would never be here. I take 2 a day in the morning with food. It really works great and is all 100% natural. No bloating or anything!
If you want more info on this, goggle it. Also there is a great book I would highly suggest…it’s called the Magnesium Miracle … I just went to amazon for you and it about $10 there…well worth it.
Becuase I am a new member, I am not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Therefore just go to Amzon and enter the name of the book.....
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby shakeit » 28 Oct 2011, 17:43

Hi wecc
My CRS also said that botox isnt as effective as LIS on a chronic fissure. I'm waiting to have LIS and although I considered botox I think its kind of a halfway house option. It may work however and I think how much patience you have probably has an impact on your choice of treatment. If you feel like you have time to try it and see how it goes, I guess you never know. Just make sure you go to a CRS who is experienced at doing it, and find out about any risks etc before trying it.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Oct 2011, 19:10

back here in singapore, my crs doesn't even suggest botox at all. Only conservative treatments, else LIS. So i guess botox is not a sure-way to heal fissures.
However, i thank God that i'm almost healed with conservative treatments.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby StevePain » 29 Oct 2011, 01:05

LIS all the way, Botox isn't a permanent solution,
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 29 Oct 2011, 07:56

LIS would be my choice too. As Steve said it's permanent! My CRS didn't offer Botox either.
I also agree with Shakeit, Botox will require patience since it could require a number of shots- if it works. Once those shots wear off, you have a high chance of getting your fissure back and the spasms.
Most folks who have a re-tear with LIS will heal quickly and not suffer from the spasms because the sphincter is looser (permanently).

Postby wecc » 01 Nov 2011, 04:35

Thank you all very much for your replies and support! This is truly an outstanding group of people. It has been over a week and I had not had any real pain at all. Where four weeks ago I was close to a ten, I am now at a 1 if even and again it has been that way for over 7 days. I have been soaking so much, my butt looks like wet leather that has been left in the sun to dry. I have really been watching what I eat, using the nif cream and softeners. I have reed where it can take the nif cream 6-8 weeks to work
Given my surgery is a few days after thanksgiving, I just do not know if I should put it off and wait to see what happens. Maybe, just maybe I am on the other side of this. I am realistic and know I very well can I be back in hell just like that. Like I said in my first post, while I went to marine boot camp over 25 years ago, this was the most painful thing I remember….
However with that said, I have never gone over 7 days will little or no pain since this started over a year ago. Also, the fact is if I have the surgery right after thanksgiving, most of the pre-Christmas fun is out the window. This is my son’s last full Christmas before he goes off to college next year. I already miss him. So I am thinking I should give it a shot. Well I have till my surgery to see. Hey it’s always there on that date if I need it.

wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 01 Nov 2011, 13:40

I think its an individual thing really. I have been told that they would not do surgery on me yet, but I have been offered botox. I was told that it should help, and means theres no risk of permanent incontinence. So I am going for botox as I'd rather be doing something rather than nothing! I too had about 5 weeks with really reduced pain, I re-tore last Wednesday and am now not in much pain at all again. Only taken 4-5 days to get back to what I was so I'm thinking I may have healed more, as I was told it was superficial before. It's totally up to you, I hope you manage to enjoy spending christmas with your son :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby StevePain » 01 Nov 2011, 14:31

I'm curious as to why they won't do surgery on you, really, the risk of incontinence is very low, most of us on here have had LIS with no lasting incontinence, personally I wouldn't settle for second best (Botox) If I were you I'd seek a second opinion, Botox doesn't last forever, LIS does.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45