Botox/Surgery general question

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox/Surgery general question

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2007, 08:22

If I'm not having spasm just pain from the fissure and some light bleeding can the botox or as a last resort surgery even help me? From what I've read they both target the muscle in order to the stop spasms and aid in healing. Correct?

Re: Botox/Surgery general question

Postby juney » 13 Aug 2007, 10:28

as far as i know, the surgery is used to aid in healing by stopping the spasms. The surgeon makes a cut in the sphincter to release the pressure and allow the fissure to heal faster. I am considering having a second LIS as the first one did not allow the fissure to completely heal. In my case, i'm not sure if another surgery will help me, as i'm not having the spasm pain either.
Having the surgery can't really hurt (there is only a small risk of incontinence, but less risk if you are young and have not had kids or any other trauma down there). Even without the spasm pain, i think the surgery will help the fissure heal, as the sphincter won't be so tight anymore.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36