Butyric acid - butyrate

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Butyric acid - butyrate

Postby rio » 18 Nov 2013, 04:44

Anyone else taking butyrate?
"Butyrate is a major metabolite in colonic lumen arising from bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber and has been shown to be a critical mediator of the colonic inflammatory response. Butyrate possesses both preventive and therapeutic potential to counteract inflammation-mediated ulcerative colitis (UC) and colorectal cancer."(Wikipedia)
It is speculated, that IBD patients have impaired colinic microbial community to the point that they lack butyrate (and other short chain fatty acids) producing bacteria.
About butyrate here: http://jmm.sgmjournals.org/content/59/2/141.full
And this nonscientific but nice writen note about it here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... er-of.html

I am taking sodium butyrate capsules for about 5 weeks, but my dose is low 300 to 600 mg/day (1 caps=150 mg only, but it is the only product on our market, the recomended dose on the product leaflet is 2-4 caps/day).
I noticed some improvement in digestion and less troubles with my gallbladder. my hope is to help with the healing of fissure, but this has not improved -yet
Although listed only as a dietary supplement, our health insurance reimburses 50% of the costs to the chrons patients. I do not have chrons or UC diagnosed, but I was told to have IBS.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12