Canned Soups

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Canned Soups

Postby lost » 27 May 2011, 12:31

Hello everyone,
Have you found any canned soups which are AF friendly? I am pretty active and for the past year have been eating quite a bit of canned soups. I am worried to eat them now that I have this AF.
Thanks.
lost
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Canned Soups

Postby lost » 27 May 2011, 18:46

I have seen a lot of people mention veggie soup. I know I sound dumb, but how do you guys go about making veggie soup?
Don't get me wrong, I can cook. But I have spent the last 15 years basing all my meals around meat. Give me a grill and I can make magic. Seems like those days are long gone now. So depressing, sorry.
lost
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 28 May 2011, 11:20

Hi there! I too have been virtually existing (but not well) on things like canned soup and ready cooked meals that dont really have enough calories. I saw someone talking about veggie soup and was thinking about making the same. I think that he (know it was a he but don't remember who) said he cooked the veggies to a mush, and I think that is the secret. For me, i don't want to overload my system with fibre, but need to get enough. I was thinking of using a turkey broth to make the base (home made with a turkey breast) and then using carrots, celery, swedes, and other veggies to give flavour. Maybe even a very few legumes as they are high in fibre. Then i will use a liquidizer to make it easy to go through my system. Hope this is a start. I will post exactly what vegetables I use, if you like! Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jcupp » 29 May 2011, 00:11

Hey there, I have been dealing with a AF for about 10 weeks now, and for the past 5 weeks I have been on a canned soup (chicken noodle) / eggs diet. this has seemed to help the healing process along with the use of Colace and nifidipine
jcupp

Postby Guest » 29 May 2011, 15:48

I believe it was NG who was the big veggie soup eater, Lol
I made s the 15 bean soup during my LIS recovery and lived off of. It's with all the dried beans at the grocery store here in the US. You can add can tomatoes, onions or whatever you may like to it:) Also pea soup is very good seasoned with ham, although I didn't eat the ham.

Postby mbpaul » 29 May 2011, 21:30

I found that homemade veggie soup helped a lot prior to my LIS. I fed on the stuff to the exclusion of all other forms of food. (lost a lot of weight, too). In my case, I never had to cook the veggies to a mush, just made them much softer than I would really have liked. I used only salt and black pepper for flavour.
I had some really bad BM experiences with canned soups. Eventually, I figured out why: A lot of the canned soups have enriched wheat flour as a part of the stock (to thicken the soup I believe). So, even now post-LIS, I haven't had any canned soup.
I love veggies, always have, so the idea of canned veggies seems almost as unbearable as another AF :-)
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 31 May 2011, 23:20

Dawn wrote:I believe it was NG who was the big veggie soup eater, Lol
I made s the 15 bean soup during my LIS recovery and lived off of. It's with all the dried beans at the grocery store here in the US. You can add can tomatoes, onions or whatever you may like to it:) Also pea soup is very good seasoned with ham, although I didn't eat the ham.

Welcome back and good memory hahahaha!!! Seriously, nice to see you around :)
And yes I'm the veggie soup monster LOL. I need to start making commission on the stuff. I'm not a huge fan of canned soups if it's going to be a staple part of one's diet. Because they're low on fiber as well as calories, they're good for quick snacks but not if you plan on challenging me for King Of Veggie Soup (and by proxy King Of F@rting as well).
Personally I like buying the bags of veggie medley, because I'm lazy like that. For example stuff like this:
http://www.grocerycouponnetwork.com/images/food-products/Eating_Right_Pre_Washed_Broccoli_Baby_Carrots_and_Cauliflower_Vegetable_Medley.jpg
The stuff I buy is usually broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. But there are other choices of course. Anyway that's what I start with. Then I add other stuff I like, for example diced potatoes, string beans, etc. I usually add some fissure friendly meat, i.e., fish, chicken breast, crab, to the mix to get a bit of protein. Obviously everyone's preferences will differ here, since our individual GI tracts will react differently to various foods. But after I get whatever ingredients I want, I just throw it all into a big pot and boil it until the veggies are soft. That's pretty much it. I do it once per week and make enough for the entire week, then scoop it out of the fridge every day.
Those of you who want to actually use your taste buds and prevent them from devolving into vestigial organs, or are less lazy than myself (it's difficult not to be :)), may want to mix up the ingredients or make a fresh batch more frequently, but consider this the Bachelor / Married Guy With Kids version of veggie soup Image Creating soft fluffy monkey tail poos since 2009...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 31 May 2011, 23:23

P.S.
I also added beef or chicken broth once in a while to give the soup a bit more flavor. That's not a bad touch if you think you might want to hurt yourself after eating the same exact bland thing day after day.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2011, 05:16

Nice seeing you too NG :) Good to see things are going well for you now!

Postby lost » 01 Jun 2011, 10:14

Thanks NG!
My quest to make veggie soup has ended mostly in failure. I can only get the carrots and onions to be soft enough. Celery and green beans stay pretty tough and stringy. I boiled the veggies last night for 40 min. and the green beans were still tough. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
If you add chicken or beef broth, do you find harder stools?
Thanks.
lost
Fibre Addict

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements