colace/miralax

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

colace/miralax

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 23 Jul 2007, 19:51

I read that using colace/miralax for longer than a week could result in becoming dependent on it and being unable to have normal bowel movements without it...
Just curious for those of you who have taken it and now no longer do...did you experience a problem when you stopped taking it?
Thanks.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: colace/miralax

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 Jul 2007, 19:53

I don't believe that is true. I used colace for five months and when I quit I never skipped a beat. If this is true, then there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I am only speaking of colace, I am not sure about the miralax, which I haven't used...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2007, 20:00

I have used both Colace and Miralax without developing a dependency on them. I know of people, even children, who have used Miralax long term without consequence. I like to call Miralax the Miracle Laxative. You can adjust it so you just get softer rather than loose stools.

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 23 Jul 2007, 20:02

Cool, thanks K/L.
One more Q...When you stopped taking it, did your stools get harder again?
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 Jul 2007, 20:15

No, mine did not. After my LIS, for some reason, my stools became pretty normal again, except they were narrower...
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 30 Jul 2007, 12:07

I use MOM and mine does becoem harder day 2 after stopping taking it. MOM is an osmotic laxative like miralax and docustate. osmotic laxative pul water into the colon, keeping poo soft. Mineral oil is an emolient laxative, which means it mixes directly with poo.

In the past, people have become dependent on laxatives, but I have not found dependency to be a problem. MOM affects the consistency of my stools rather than the timing. I still go like clockwork on or off the MOM.

Stimulant laxatives, like senna, actually interact with the nerves in your intestines and so peopple who take stimulant laxatie long term run the risk of nerve damage in the intestines. This sort of damage can cause lazy bowel syndrome, where your gut basically forgets how to poo.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby SunshineHope » 31 Jul 2007, 21:58

With Miralax, well. I ran out of it a few days ago so I've been OFF Miralax for about a week and although it is more likely to be painful when I have a BM, I sitll don't bleed. It's still fairly soft, just not as soft as before (unless I drink loads of water). I am still pooing as frequently as while I was on miralax though.
I'll be buying more in a few days when I go to the US, until then, I think I"ll be okay .... Surprisingly..!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38