Colace

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Colace

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2006, 14:55

How many stool softeners does everyone take daily? I am taking 1 in morning and 1 in evening. But now , with all of the fiber, i am going to the bathroom 3-4 times daily. Today was 5 times. I am so afraid to stop taking them. Does one capsule usually do the trick? If anyone would have told me that i would become so obsessed with my rectum and my BM's, i would have thought they were crazy.
Christina

Re: Colace

Postby Cheryl » 14 Nov 2006, 17:59

Don't worry Christina, your not the only one who's FIRST prioity is the ass.. :lol!: My whole existence at the moment is soley focusing on what goes in - and what comes out... Its good.. in a way!
I am taking Sorbitol (Sorbilax 70 %) it is a sugar based softener so my bowels will never become addicted would you say..
I take 20 mls morning and night - Also 1 metamucil tablet morning and night.
I try my best to eat atleast 4 pieces of fruit a day and also have veggies with dinner - (I prefer to rely on natural fibre from foods rather than the fibre drinks or tabs)
Anyway, I find this is enough to give me 1 -2 soft fluffy BM's per day.
Christina, I would be v. careful - sometimes going to the toilet too many times (expecially if its to runny from too many laxatives or softeners) can be just as bad as having a firm stool.
When I first came home from hospital I was on TOOOO many laxatives and my ass was burning, it gave me all sorts of grief.. as soon as someone told me to ease up on the laxatives, along came my fluffy poos!
Its just a matter of juggling diet with softeners to find what combination is right for your body - stick with it, you will find it soon Image
p.s. if your going that many times, be sure to continue your salt baths after every BM to keep your wound clean !!
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Nov 2006, 09:04

Around 3:00 PM every day I take a (small) swig of Chronulac, which is a liquid stool softener prescribed by my surgeon, and two colace. I repeat this around 9:00 each evening.
As I said in another thread, I believe the Glutamine is making things too soft, for me at least.
Hugh :joker:
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 21 Nov 2006, 03:13

Cheryl wrote:I am taking Sorbitol (Sorbilax 70 %) it is a sugar based softener so my bowels will never become addicted would you say..
I take 20 mls morning and night

I have seen this on the pharmacy shelf, i will go and get some and see if it gives me any immediate relief - im sure it will come in handy after my surgery too. Thank you Image