Colonoscopy risky with healing fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy risky with healing fissure?

Postby ughhh » 10 Apr 2012, 20:43

Is it. Need to get a colonoscopy but I'm worried it'll possibly seriously mess with my fissure. I feel like I'm making progress with my fissure... ?
ughhh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Colonoscopy risky with healing fissure?

Postby workingonit » 11 Apr 2012, 21:52

You know I'm not sure. But my mom got one done when her fissure was still not quite healed, and it turned out fine.
I would definitely give the doc a heads up to be careful of it!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 11 Apr 2012, 22:03

the problem with colonoscopy is two-fold... First, the cleaning out with the huge doses of laxatives you have to take that give you severe diarrhea, then the procedure itself, which could conceivably cause a problem with a fissure too... If you do decide to go ahead, use a lot of Vaseline during your cleanout to protect the area from the diarrhea, and remind your doctor to be extra gentle due to your fissure situation.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BillUltra » 16 Apr 2012, 16:06

I WOULD NOT GET A COLONOSCOPY! NO NO NO! Unless you have some real problems you need to address. I had a colonoscopy 3-1/2 years ago, no problems except 3 benign polyps which he removed. Then I had my fissure repaired with a LIS which worked great. Because of the polyps I was to have colonoscopies every 3 years. I just had my second colonoscopy, where the doctor removed a polyp in my rectum. It turned out to be benign, of course, but has since morphed into the mother of all fissures and is now controlling every aspect of my life with pain and fear of BM's. Having this procedure was easily the worst mistake of my life.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby LemonPink » 16 Jun 2016, 22:01

Thanks for the feedback! No real problems other than the fissure. My doctor doesn't think a colonoscopy is necessary but offered it for piece of mind. It is very clear that I have a large, recurring fissure that is causing my issues but I'm a worrier. Sounds like I should wait a bit. Thank you!
LemonPink

Topics: 2