Constant urge - is this normal?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Constant urge - is this normal?

Postby piercedoll » 13 Nov 2016, 13:18

Hi. Got a diagnosis for anal fissure a week ago and started on Diltiazem cream. Have had the fissure for 10 months, got it when I developed IBS-D and had explosive diarrhea for a few weeks. It burns and bleeds a little, but doc said it is extremely small, almost nothing.

My question is: Is it possible for a small fissure like this to cause an almost constant urge to poop? The urge is always present to some extent, but it periodically gets worse and then eases again throughout the day. It's especially bad after meals (when it would be a natural time for a bm). I can clearly feel it originating from my rectum/anus, and it's not a full blown "gotta go now" thing, but this reeeally nagging, fluctuating wave-like "I'm gonna poop soon"-feeling. Even on my better days, after 1-2 "normal" bowel movements, I end up visiting the toilet several times because the feeling gets so uncomfortable... Then I strain a lot and end up passing only a small amount of stool, so obviously I didn't even really need to go. After doing this I'm left feeling really nasty... As if my anus didn't already feel swollen and sore 24/7!

I have been to a pelvic physiotherapist, and the urge is not connected to muscle tightness/spinal problems/etc. My pelvic floor is also working fine. Everything else in my rectum and pelvic region has been checked and is ok.

So. Is this an usual symptom with fissures? I dearly hope so, because that would mean I have hope. Otherwise, I'm just gonna have to learn to live with this for the rest of my life. If this IS normal, is it possible for the fissure to heal even though I often have to strain some when I go, about 2 times a day? With IBS that has evolved from diarrhea to constipation/diarrhea, it is almost impossible to balance everything and eliminate the need to strain.
piercedoll

Topics: 1

Re: Constant urge - is this normal?

Postby averageJoe2000 » 17 Nov 2016, 12:08

I heard it is sometimes caused by anal fissures yeah. In my case i got the opposite, NO URGE. i just kind of have to try and go because i'm not sure when i should go since i have no urge. Yes theres always hope. Just like you, i've been thinking i'm gonna have to learn to live with this no urge thing(and the rest of my condition) for the rest of my life. But I'm hopeful still. I'm sorry you're suffering so much. Try to keep positive and keep going to your doctors.
averageJoe2000
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Constant urge - is this normal?

Postby toha1 » 11 Jan 2018, 05:43

Have the same issue as piercedoll. Advice please? Am in agony...
toha1