cortisone suppositories for anal fissures?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

cortisone suppositories for anal fissures?

Postby Painful butt » 08 Dec 2012, 14:18

Hello all,
I'm also a person with an anal fissure that's causing me a great deal of pain and distress. I would like to share with you my story, so that others may benefit from it as well as ask a q? that I have.
I've had chronic constipation for yrs (constipation from having a busy lifestyle) that I ignored bc there was no pain associated with it, until last yr, I developped an anal fissure. My CRS gave me a bunch of things to take before I go back to him in 6 mo to talk about surgery. (which I'm dreading bc I'm only in my 20's and fear the side effects of incontinence from early on in life). I didn't take what he prescribed, and I took Miralax. Miralax was a miracle drug for me. It softened my stools so nicely, and my pain was gone in a couple weeks, and I continued to have regular BM's after that without Miralax.
Last month, I got constipated again, and my fissure is back with vengeance. Miralax is currently not doing the trick for me, and I'm trying to use what my CRS prescribed for me, though I'm still using the Miralax in hope that with patience it would work again.
I would like to let the pple on this forum know to use Miralax if they haven't tried it bc it could do miracles to them like it did to me. And the 2nd most important thing, is once they are better, not to be under the false impression that their fissure is gone: they MUST make sure they don't get constipated again.
One of the things that my CRS has prescribed for me is hydrocortisone suppositories which I have not used bc I know that steroids delay the healing process, so it doesn't make sense to me to use steroids for a break in the skin. Has anyone used hydrocortisone suppositories/Anusol for anal fissures and what was your experience with them?
Painful butt

Topics: 1

Re: cortisone suppositories for anal fissures?

Postby marg6043 » 08 Dec 2012, 15:20

Sorry to hear about your fissure, one thing that is a most about learning to cope with this problem is that those stools needs to stay nice and soft, like for ever.
I am very familiar with the tear, get better, to retear again. I read in this forum as you will read too, with so much incredible information and other members experiences on the issue that hydrocortisone is not to be use for long term they made the area thiner after a while and that is not a good thing, also is other ways to get your stool soft, my problem is not constipation but the other way around, diarrhea, and recently been diagnosed with IBS. The doctor told me to get mineral oil one spoon in the morning and one in the afternoon, I replace that with coconut oil, also I am on nitro cream, to release the anal area tension and bring more blood for healing. I wonder if within the things the CRS gave you is also a prescription to nitro cream or other cream to increase healing, beside the hydro.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Re: cortisone suppositories for anal fissures?

Postby 3 years now » 22 Dec 2012, 09:42

only use the cortisone for a short time. Prolonged use thins out the mucous membranes of your skin which can cause issue later on.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9