Cryptitis

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cryptitis

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2008, 06:35

Hello anyone ever hear of or have cryptitis?
Melissa

Re: Cryptitis

Postby val » 29 Aug 2008, 07:49

I have heard of it - I think its an infection which could lead to an abcess or fistula.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jo » 29 Aug 2008, 07:58

Here is what I found on Hemorrhoid.net, I never heard of it before. Do you have this diagnosis?
"Anal crypts are tiny recesses of epithelium at the upper end of the anal canal at the mucocutaneous junction. They are tiny mucus glands of lubrication arranged in a circle around the upper end of the anal canal. Located between normal structures called anal papillae, crypts are usually small, but visible enough to help give the pectinate line a serrated appearance on anoscopy.
Crypts are normal structures causing no symptoms unless they become inflamed. They are small areas of skin situated between the anal papillae. They are approximately 3 mm in depth and are lined with a single layer of epithelium, which is a continuation of the skin of the anus. Just before a bowel movement, the sphincter muscles contract and squeeze out a little drop of lubricating mucus from each of these crypts, aiding in the normal slippery passage of stool.
Cryptitis is defined as an inflammatory process in the crypts, characterized by redness, swelling, and thickening of the tissues in this area. This condition is identified proctoscopically as a pearl of pus beading up from the crypt at the level of the dentate line. Cryptic infection often causes the dissolution of the roof of the crypt, resulting in anal fissure. An infected crypt that is chronic, and fails to un-roof, can develop into an anal abscess and/or fistula.
Cryptitis is held responsible for a variety of conditions and symptoms. The pain of cryptitis is usually of the sharp lancinating or burning variety. A dull ache, or intense pain from spasm of the contraction of the sphincter muscle may develop from the inflammatory process. The nature of a crypt infection is of an ebb and flow, and may be of such a low grade that the pain is transitory.
The cause of cryptitis may be due to an inflammatory process in the adjacent areas, or a disturbance in the acid pH balance of the rectum. Trauma from constipated stools, infections introduced from external sources, parasites, foreign debris, etc., may also initiate cryptitis.
Surgical removal of a crypt is not the complete answer to treating cryptitis. The cause must be eliminated."

Take care,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2008, 09:03

How funny, Jo! I just went and copied the same stuff to paste here. I had heard of it but didn't know much about it at all!

I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it as it seems like it should be ruled out for anal pain!

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2008, 09:09

Thanks guys,
Yeah there is not too much information on the topic either on the web or even within this forum. Tims Dr. Just told him that he thought he has cryptitis now. He has to soften his stools once again and not he is on an anti biotic. Im surprised there is no information about this around. No treatment options really to speak of either?
Thanks again
Melissa

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2008, 09:17

How odd, isn't it? I would think it is more common than is let on. I think I will ask my CRS about this and how it is ruled out. They probably don't look into it much because there isn't a lot they know to do about it but I would think reducing inflammation in the body systemically would be important.

It is hard to have a condition that isn't readily understood and treated but I am glad the doctor thought to check for that.

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2008, 12:04

Yes really odd.
I think that the hemmies were making the area so irritated to begin with that this was hidden. Now that the hemmies are somewhat under control this can been easier.
Again not much they do about this. Your right get the inflammation down is a start. Soft stools was never so much important as it is now!

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion