Cymbalta ???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Cymbalta ???

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 17:26

Hi there,
just a quick question for Lecia and some other members who might use this drug :) . I just came back from my GP and she suggested for me taking "something" after she saw how much weight I have lost since she saw me firs time in September and after hearing all of what has happening in between - she was genuinely concerned and asked me why I wouldn't try some mood stabilizing meds so I would sleep better, and better regulate my pain until I go through surgery and recovery and get rid of this pain. So, I was open to that especially since Holidays are coming and I don't want to cry any time I saw something touching or beautiful especially with people around :roll: . Anyway - me digressing as usual :oops: ... The bottom line - WE COULDN'T agree on which one to take !!!!??? In the side effects it is said that Cymbalta can cause constipation ! Did any of you experienced that effect ? She also prescribed Celebrex for pain since it does not effect stomach :cheer: , at least one thing solved (hopefully) .
Thanks in advance Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: Cymbalta ???

Postby Cheryl » 16 Nov 2007, 19:46

ive never heard of that one... sorry!!
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 19:55

Thanks Cheryl, I posted this in the wrong "topic" place - you can just see how my brain is messed up ; ))) !!!! It should go under "general discussion" , but I don't know how to move it :oops: , so hopefully somebody will "stumble" on it one of those days ; ) !
Thanks again! :>?:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby happyass » 16 Nov 2007, 20:45

yes cymbalta caused constipation for me. i started at 60 mg but you can start at 20 mg or 30 mg or 60 mg.
typically, the normal dosage is 60 mg. however, i have read that some people take 90 mg or 120 mg.
i started in march. it's now nov. and the constipation that i went thru with cymbalta is gone.
for me, i was not hungry for about 3-4 weeks when i started cymbalta. now i have a my regular appetite back. i also was sex hungry during that first month more than normal.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Nov 2007, 20:59

Heyyyyyyyyy, Happyass - nice to see you !!!!! That "blonde 007" really looks good on you ; ) ! Thanks for the info. ! I will have to think about this now even though I am not prone to constipation , I am afraid to cause it (brrrrrr....). Also since I am trying to gain weight and avoid sex , ha ha ha, this drug definitely is not in agreement with me ; )) ! Did it help with the pain and mood though ?
Thanks for writing !!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby happyass » 16 Nov 2007, 22:20

well everyone has different effects during the adjustment phase.
i was having a very difficult time at home with things that were going on and i needed a break. the cymbalta helped ease things for me and i was able to get back on track with work, life, and well, me :-)
so despite the constipation, it has been good for me.
i used effexor before but it was very erratic after six to seven months. i was on a very emotional roller coaster and then i had sleep distrubances. however, i also had the same initial effects - i had no desire to eat, helped me to lose a few pounds, and then i was sex hungry and it made me very yawn-y. but with each yawn, i had like a phantom orgasm. it was great because it was all those feelings without the mess!!!! hehehehehehe....
cymbalta made me yawn a bit but not as intense as effexor. cymbalta has been very stable for me.
good luck.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Nov 2007, 00:31

ha ha ha ha, thank you Gareth for sharing your experiences with me, I appreciate it a lot XOXO !!!! Interesting that you mentioned Effexor because that was my other option. You are also right that probably we all can have different response for the same medication ! Somehow I always resented using antidepressants and tried to tough everything up , but maybe I need a break after so many years of struggle with chronic pain. My doc. explained that stress makes our body execrate hormones and chemicals that can actually hinder healing and make permanent changes in brain chemistry too, some kinds of real emotional scars but on chemical level :(.
I am now open for that option but have to find adequate one for me and also other meds that I use. Thank you so much again for sharing and I will try not to yawn too much , ahahahhahahahha , at least not on public places ; ))) !!!
HUG,
:footmsa:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2007, 09:05

I take cymbalta and celebrex. I did have a few days of constipation with it (I started on 30 and moved to 60 mg) but my body adjusted. It is commonly used for people with fibro so it might be worth trying out. I took effexor but I had very disturbing dreams with it. Really, things out of Nightmare on Elm Street, so I never woke up rested because I was always dying in my dreams!

But everyone is different in how they will respond. Many people notice a decline in libido with anti-depressants (though I think it may have improved mine) and it does help with gaining weight in some cases too.

I take celebrex for pain and inflammation-200 mg a day.

I just wanted to mention for anyone who thinks they may have residual nerve pain from all of this is to look into getting a selective nerve block injection. That has seemed to help me. They inject a long lasting anesthetic and a steroid to help calm the nerve down.

I am also seeing a chiropracter who does light therapy on getting the nerves and myotomes to reset and to help strengthen areas that may be contributing to weakness.

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Nov 2007, 13:56

Thanks Lecia :),
I got prescription for Celebrex yesterday but was afraid of constipation from Cymbata. Were you on fissure diet at that time when you started Cymb. and still got constipation ??? Oh my God, I will go nuts this time around - even my doctor just continued repeating , ..." I am so sorry...I am so sorry " which was nice that he was sympathetic but at the same time didn't gave me any encouragement or hope that he can help me or make me feel better - like he is giving me 3 days to live or something... My fibro is acting up more and more because of all he pain and stress and I feel sad more and more often which is not ME - I feel like loosing my identity :( ! Thanks for teling me about Efexxor -i t looks like I should skip that one - I have nightmares anyway. Cymbalta would be ideal because it will help with my nerve pain and my fibro ...maybe.
Thank you guys , can't write for now any more, I am really down today and I don't like how I "sound" . ...
Lots of love to all :arwen: :linus:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2007, 14:07

Hi there,

Sorry you are having a down day!
I was not on the AF diet when I started taking cymbalta so maybe if I had been I wouldn't have noticed any constipation issues. They start you on a low 30 mg dose so you can take that for a week before they move you up. I know that sometimes anti-depressants are prescribed for bowel problems like IBS so it may have a positive effect on your digestion.

I put off taking it for a year because I was afraid of constipation but really after a few days it was business as usual. So I understand your concern. Hang in there, sweetness, you ARE going to get through this.