Difference Between Abscess/Nodule & a Fistula?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Difference Between Abscess/Nodule & a Fistula?

Postby MarkMan » 22 Mar 2013, 19:06

I'm sure there are no two people who are alike, but just wondering if there are any tell-tale symptoms that would distinguish a fistula from an abscess. My doc thinks I have an abscess on the left side of my inner rectum, due to local drainage when he pushes on it. But I have no discharge or odors or any visible signs from the outside. I did have bleeding, but that was due to a polyp that had formed on top of it, which was removed.
I'm preparing for a EUA next week for excision of the inflammatory nodule verses fistulotomy. I just hope when I wake up this sh** will be over with! The doc said he won't know til I'm examined what's going on, but he thinks it's an abscess. I do get dull aches and discomfort when sitting for long periods on my left side at times, but not sure if this is just from that blister/abscess or if it's a dreaded fistula.
I also have no pain at all when I have BMs, and my BMs are quite regular and normal. No blood in stool since the polyp was removed. I'll be getting this abscess thing drained/removed next week in my EUA hopefully.
Just wondering if there are any tell tale signs that can point to a fistula verses abscess. Basically all my CRS has been able to determine so far is that the area has pus drainage and slight blood when it is pushed on, which runs out. But it doesn't ever leak. I'm really hoping this is just an abscess (my CRS called it an inflammatory nodule) and not a fistula.
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3