Diltiazem helped

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Diltiazem helped

Postby AF Blues » 03 May 2013, 10:16

My story started this past March 2013. I have never had any issues down in that region but then one day I had more violent than usual BM and that's when my nightmare began. At first I thought I had hemorroids and my primary doctor prescribed Anusol suppositories. I got no relief. A couple weeks went by and I still had no relief from the pain day or night. I got desperate so I made an appointment with a Gastro doctor and when I went to see him he wouldn't even look inside since he said my other doc did. He wanted to do a flexible sigmoidoscopy but I wouldn't be scheduled for a couple weeks. I was in agony waiting for some type of resolution that I thought would never come so I called and asked for a sooner date. Luckily there had been a cancellation and I was scheduled sooner. A least I had an end in sight because up until then I didn't know what I even had. Well, the day of my flex sig, there was a flood that closed down the whole city. Cars were floating down the street so I couldn't even get to the doc! I felt cursed with this intense pain. With my appointment cancelled I looked for a CRS and got an appointment that very day. That doctor was late due to the flooding too but I would have waited all day if I had to.He checked me out and he said I had a fissure. I had no idea. I just felt stinging pain especially during BMs for almost 4 weeks by that point. Talk about torture. The doc gave me a steroid cream and advised sits baths. I did everything religiously and STILL found no relief. At that point I was on the verge of suicide. I was anxious, moody, desperate, self focused, unable to be with my family, etc. One night I went to the ER at 4am because I couldn't take it any more. They didn't do anything but give me pain meds. Well, the next day I finally got relief. God must have decided I had enough. Either that or I would have done something dumb so I am grateful I got a little relief. I had a follow up with my CRS the next day and told him I wasn't getting better. He finally prescribed dilitazem. I have been on it for just 3 days and I am 95% pain free! I can have a BM with no problem. No stinging. I'm almost back. I'm glad I went on that cream. I was in a really dark place a few days ago. Don't give up. Be your own advocate and do everything you can to get better. Bother doctors. Talk to people. I'm looking forward to a complete recovery and I am almost there. Better days lie ahead. Also, don't forget that sometimes success stories don't post on here. They move on and don't look back. People get better and you can to!
AF Blues

Topics: 1

Re: Diltiazem helped

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 May 2013, 16:07

AF Blues,
Great to read your post and I'm sure we can all totally relate to the traumas you've been through whilst trying to deal with your fissure (both the mental & physical effects)....although maybe not the flooding LOL!....
I too have nothing but praise for Dilitazem! Instant relief after 2 months of intense raw fissure pain and 7 weeks later, a greatly healed fissure. It certainly worked for me in assisting the healing process hugely!...
Fingers crossed for you now that this will be your saviour, but do stick with cream for as long as it's been prescribed to make sure it takes its full effect!
All the very best to you and many thanks for posting this here - it can only provide the hope and reassurance that so many sufferers desperately need in their worst hours and times of need :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby AF Blues » 03 May 2013, 23:19

Thanks! I'm only a few days into the dializem, but I am hopeful. It seems like this would never go away and I guess it hasn't quite yet. This whole experience has made me very reflective of health and people's suffering. Life isnt always easy-- especially when it comes to an AF. However i know i need to be thankful for the blessings i do have because they are many too. i can't let the physical and emotional pain cloud my judgment in the future. I'm glad people like you are around to give a little encouragement. God bless you for it and may good things happen in your life.
AF Blues

Postby Wiltsman » 07 May 2013, 02:41

I have just had 2nd round of Botox and Tag removal.
Had a terrible BM the day after op. that ripped me - blood dripping in bath etc.
Sore again today (Tues) . .
Just convinced GP to prescribe Diltiazem - sadly its a 3-5 day wait to get the creambut who cares - I am so looking forward to seeing if this helps heal me.
Like AF blues I have felt very very low and quality of life has been to put it bluntly - poop.
I sometimes wished there was an AF support group in my county (Wiltshire) because I don't think anybody really knows how painful this is until they have experienced it.
I have tried GTN cream several times and apart from instant headaches it gave it didnt do much for me. I will let you all know how it goes with the Diltiazem cream.
Jeff
Wiltsman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby AF Blues » 07 May 2013, 09:47

Wiltsman, so sorry to hear about your experience. I pray for your healing since I know what you're going through. A very difficult part is not knowing when relief will come and you go on day after day in despair. It really is cruel. Don't give up hope and think of the good things in your life. I have four young kids that I am blessed to have so even on my worst days I thought of them and how I need to be strong. You have support, friend. There is an end and you will get there. Part of life unfortunately is suffering but at least the power of positive thoughts and encouragement can help get you by.
AF Blues

Postby splinterboy1984 » 12 Jun 2013, 12:19

Af blues, are you feeling better yet? updates?
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3