Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

LIS Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Finally getting LIS after 6 years of AF tearing

Postby Rich44 » 15 Apr 2022, 13:54

Sorry to hear of your setback but my CRS did tell me that even after the LIS you will still occasionally have a fissure and it's fairly normal. Remember your fissure didn't magically close because of the surgery. The surgery is simply helping the body heal the fissure (as it does for anyone with an acute fissure). I honestly think you'll be fine. Stay the course and again you do not want to be dependent on laxatives. You will mess up your colon!

Try this mental approach. Pretend this current episode is a brand new fissure. Tell yourself it will not be chronic. Do your few sitz baths a day and do not do anything extreme. I am serious - it's what I would do. You had an LIS, your body will heal itself quickly but if you start freaking out and getting tense down there you are screwed. Again, treat it as an acute new fissure and it should be ok by tomorrow.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 15 Apr 2022, 13:59

Whoops, I typed a response but it didn't post. Thank you Rich! This afternoon I am in no pain which is amazing. Normally that fissure tear would have meant an afternoon of torture. I will meet with my CRS next week and know a bit more about what to do diet wise. Thanks!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 16 Apr 2022, 19:17

Day 8: Good news, the tear yesterday ending up being about 5% as painful the rest of the day as a normal tear pre-surgery.

Sticking with my diet and re-introducing miralax I did have another tear on the same fissure this morning. A hard tip stool simply from sitting in my colon too long. The bane of my existence.

Much of the same though, no other pain for the rest of the day just some tenderness. I’m moving around basically normally with some minor discharge (blood) from the incision site.

From the point forward I’ll update after my follow up in a few days and/or if anything noteworthy happens.

As far as my recovery from the LIS I feel largely healed and back to normal! I’d say about 7-8 days is what it took. Thanks all!
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 17 Apr 2022, 17:12

Great to hear about your LIS post-op progress! Not so good that you had a little issue yesterday.

Let me simply remind you of the elephant in the room: Extended use or overuse of Miralax may result in dependence on laxatives and chronic constipation. Overuse may cause diarrhea, dehydration, and mineral imbalance (such as low sodium). In other words it can literally make your problem worse. It is normally only supposed to be taken for 2 weeks unless a doctor tells you otherwise. Just be very careful. You should not have to rely on stool softeners or laxatives.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 19 Apr 2022, 13:14

Day 11: Hey all, presumably my last update because there's just not much to update on. I had my follow up. CRS said everything is healing nicely. The skin tag that was removed is still a bit sensitive and actually bled a bit when he examined. He said that is most likely the cause of the blood I've been seeing.
He said I can resume running but to wait on biking and definitely wait on swimming until everyting stops bleeding.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 20 Apr 2022, 12:10

Healing nicely! No problem! You are on your way...
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist