fissurectomy vs cauterization

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

fissurectomy vs cauterization

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2006, 23:30

Hi cheryl!!! I saw in another post where you said you had fissurectomy. What exactly did the surgeon do? I thought when i went into surgery that they would remove the fissure. My surgeon said they just do the LIS and cauterize the edges of the fissure to promote healing. He said that it would be worse if they put a stitch in the fissure cuz it will reopen and poo would get inside and set up infection. I notice that some people have fissurectomies, LIS, or just stitch the fissure. It seems that the people who say they have fissurectomy tend to heal much faster than those with just LIS. I am 5 wks post op and although i am much, much , much , much , better than before i feel that my healing has been slow. I feel like i am healing surgery wounds and the fissure now. Just wondering what exactly a fissurectomy is.
See ya
Christina

Re: fissurectomy vs cauterization

Postby Cheryl » 01 Dec 2006, 06:14

Hey Christina..
:oops: I feel slightly embarrassed now... when the dr wrote down that I was having a 'fissurectomy' - the removal of the fissure and the schincterectomy (incision of the muscle) - I thought nothing more about it - i thought the fissurectomy was just a removal of the fissure??? How silly of me not to ask how. I am going to see my CRS next week for my follow up appt - I will ask whether it was cauterised or fixed and stitched..
Im sorry I dont have an answer for you now - but I will endeavour to find out - I am very intrigued now Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Cheryl » 05 Dec 2006, 04:56

OK - so I went in for my follow up appt today - unfortunately I did not get my surgeon Image this was annoying, but hey i guess this is the joy of going public..
I asked him exactly how the procedures were done.. I explained of my knowledge of the cauterisation method, and also the fissure removal and stitching method.. he started shaking his head at me Image and said .. "no no no no no, none of these" I was like Image
So he went on to explain that they cut away the skin tags from the fissure, then cut the lateral incision into the sphincter muscle... and that was it! Not only is the cutting of the muscle to relax the sphincter for BM's, its also to allow the fissure (or tear) to heal itself un-obstructively and without pressure.
.. is it wrong of me to be 'un-convinced'?? I am going to make an appointment to see my surgeon, even if i have to pay for it and clarify this matter.. cos even my GP said somthing different.
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2006, 06:56

YOU JUST DESCRIBED WHAT I HAD DONE HUN... Image
IM SOOOO GOOD SOOO FAR!!! :lol!: